Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting a new lift and have somewhat narrowed the search down to the RE 5.5 LA vs Teraflex 4 LA. I've heard that the Teraflex wasn't a true Long Arm kit... not really sure what is meant by this. :?

I'll be trying to install the lift myself with a little help from my friends and I'm a competent mechanic but have no welding or fabrication experience.

I heard that the teraflex requiered welding to install. And the RE required drilling. (I can do that)

What is your opinion on the better lift. Looking at quality and ease of installation.

Also are there any other lifts that any of you would reccomend? I'm looking to put 35" tires on.

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well you chose the cream of the crop for sure in those two.

A few people I know that got the Tera LA, eventually changed the CA's themselves to the RE LA's, leaving the rest of the Tera stuff on there.

You are going to need to relocate the rear shocks too, I went ahead and welded (well I clamped them in place while the guy with the welder made the actual welds) the RE re-location brakets on, but many have had excellent results with the bolt on Teraflex relocators even though they bought the RE kit.

I run 35"'s on my setup extremely well, I went with the RE 4.5" Short Arm kit, sub'd the 4.5" coils with the 3.5" coils and used the 2" Coil Spacers I already had in there. I also have a 1" Body lift, I can say, that at maximum articulation I am at full stuff right now, sort of a bummer as I had hoped to be able to run 37.5"'s if I wanted to.

I think I am starting to seriosuly look at flat fender products, for if I ever really want the 37.5"'s on there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think the Poison Spider tube fenders are where its at for flatfender products. Sweeeeeet!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
get the RE long arm...
just helped my buddy REMOVE his terra 6'' LA .
just minor welding for the RE there are some frame spacers
that need to be welded in. could get by not welding but makes
the spacers stronger by becomming one with the frame.

Terra shock re-locators work just fine. so does thier disco`s
the long arm they have....needs constant attn.

mac

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like the nth degree shock relocators better than anybody else's. I'm surprised I that more people don't use them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are bolt in I take it? The Nth Degree shock relocators?

I just used the ones that came with the kit, the garage I did wrenching in, had the welding equipment, and the shop owner said no problemo, so I/We welded them on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is an older post but I figured I would reply to it rather than starting a whole new post over the same topic. I'm just days away form ordering a lift and the only thing keeping me from getting it is trying to figure out which one to get...narrowed it down to

1.) Tera 4" LA
2.) RE 4.5 Super Flex Short Arm....
3.) Save up for another 6 months to a year for a RE LA or Full Traction

From what I've read from past post. Those with Tera 4" LA are still wheeling as well as those with the RE LA and seem to be having just as much fun. Even though the RE LA kit comes with adjustable Front and Rear Trackbars, different upper control arms and skids. This doesn't seem to put it into a separate league than the Tera...

As far as pricing goes; the Teraflex 4" LA is about the same price as the RE 4.5" Super Flex (Short Arms). Would you say an RE short arm kit is as good or better than a Terra LA? Or is this more brand loyalty? What real benefits are you getting from a LA? I hear about better highway/road manners and that would be great for me as most of my driving is 90% highway/city. But like most of you I don't have access to a money tree. So trying to get the biggest bang for the buck is always a priority.

Money being no object I would more than likely go with the RE LA over the Tera, but if I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck... is the RE LA so much better than the Tera LA that you would you really suggest saving up the extra $1,000 to get the RE LA or possibly the Full Traction kit vs the Tera. Mind you I'm not competing in any tournaments and just do some light wheeling, but I still want 35" tires and don't want to get something cheaply made vs inexpensive.

Would you recommend 4.5 RE short arm kit over a 4" Terra LA? I want my lift now so saving for something better is almost out of the question.

What problems have those of you with Tera 4" LA had that you would recommend against getting it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the SA RE 4.5" kit and it is pretty amazing on and off road.
I never ran a Teraflex lift though, I do know that nearly every Tera LA owner I know around these parts changed the LA's themselves to the RE LA's.......

I'm racking up some pretty mean respected trails these days, on the RE SA kit, and my street ride is very sweet. But just so you also know, people that get the RE 4.5" Coils are complaining about stiff ride, my sub'd in 3.5" Kit coils and 2" coil spacers with OME shocks is really very smooth on the road.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
dont go Terra LA...too many times needs repairs.
ive driven and rode in my buddy`s TJ with this kit...
we just converted Stu to a R.E.L.A. :D

suggest you ask PBR Stitch and WrathOfRubicon
RE 4.5 Super Flex Short Arm think they can supply details on flex
and ride.

:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did what I did, because I thought it was the absolutely best bang for my buck. Since he did list that as a choice criteria. Those long arms are way cool no doubt, worth every penny that they charge for the system.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday I got the chance to drive a 4.5" RE Long Arm kit. I was amazed at the difference, I didn't feel like I was surfing down the road as I hit the bumps. It just soaked them up. The Jeep wobble wasn't there. I will most likely switch to a long arm kit sometime in the future, but until then I am still very staisfied with my SA kit. So the choice is really yours, since with RE you can always upgrade later.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the inputs. I think I'll just have to justify using the credit card to purchase the RE LA. After all I'm going to get it eventually anyway. At least it'll save some money in the long run. Instead of buying two kits. I'll just buy the one. :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just put the RE 5.5 long arm on a club members jeep last weekend.

Really nice kit. Lot o work!

His wasn't a ruby. The only question I have is where do you go with the air for the lockers?

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
You can extend the hoses and move it to that plate (if you don't have ABS, and I think most Rubi's don't) under the master cylinder on the drivers side.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that everyone seems to like the RE LA kit I figured I would toss out another lift kit that seems to be the way to go.

THE CURRIE LA, TRIANGULATED REAR!

Well, I believe a lot of the competition rockcrawlers are actually using Currie's set up. The triangulated rear suspension does away with that pesky rear track bar. Making for even more flex. The J-arms seem to be a great way for the suspension to glide over rocks/roots, etc. And it moves the joint up and out of the way, onto the rear of the axle. There is a bit more welding needed compared to the RE or TeraFlex, but hey once you have the thing fired up, why not right?

I am not sure of the price difference, I am sure the Currie lift has a stout price tag, but you get what you pay for.

I am pretty sure the Currie lift will be the one I go for once I am ready to step up to a LA kit.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The reason people say the Tera kit isnt a true Long arm is because it re-uses the stock upper arms.
This causes alot of binding issues which dont exist on other long arm kits.
Since it re-uses these parts, you dont have to pay for replacement ones hence the cheaper cost, but In this case, I think you get what you pay for.

I have the 5.5 LA and love it, I am going to change out the rear upper and rear trac bar with the Toys By Troy triangulated aluminum one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Suspension...

How much maintenance is required on the different lifts? RE? Tera? Currie? I realize that grease is your key... but how often?

If it is just a street beater.... regular owner's manual schedule...?

or.. every offroad adventure... just count on lubing that thing up?

also... the onroad characteristics of the LA .. worth the upgrade over the SF onroad characteristics?

thanks....

boy, i have a few questions...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the SA kit, you may have to recenter them from time to time, easy enough to do....

Every zirk should be greased every oil change, in my opinion anyways.

The LA's are worth the price of admission on and off road.

Is it drastic? I dunno, my SA kit is really nice with the OME shocks. That is really something you are going to have to decide for yourself.

In my case, it would have been next year before I could of put on the LA / extreme duty kit, and the SA kit was just within my budget, and I wanted to climb 5'+ ledges and boulders now.. So for me it was the only choice at the time.

What I have now has been like a dream rig of mine for the past decade, so I am pleased as punch to finally have it!!!

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I don't think that Currie kit is a long arm kit, however it is a very nice design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts