Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not new at this but it is realy pissing me off. Had the 4.5 SF lift on now for 5k and no problems. One trip to moab and all the lca bushings were sliding out, the rear was sagging and vibes. Called RE gave them the details with the spring measurements. I have a 5sp,stock rear track bar with the 1602 bracket for a cv shaft, hardtop, durango bumper/swingout with a gerry can and highlift. They sent me new bushings and 3/4" spacers. I installed it and now I cant get rid of the vibes. DS is at 18 and pinion is 17. Vibe is from 51 to 59 mph. Mind you this is the second shaft, first one would not stop vibrating at all. I had to rotate this one 3 times originaly when mounting it to get it to ballance out.(mount it, rotae 90 on the flange bolt it up, still vibe, rotate it 90 more and vibe was gone until MOAB) I know it worked good befor but I cant get it to now. I have had it at almost dead on DS at a little over 18 and pinion almost at 18 and all kind of other combos. Out of ideas please help.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
check the angle on the front shaft.....
remove the front if you have to. that happend to me.
finally found was the rear shaft...adaptr plate that needed to
be changed to match a shaft.
mac

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand but the front hasnt changed and the angles seem to be fine. The front shaft is at 10 and the pinion is at 9.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
doodoob said:
I understand but the front hasnt changed and the angles seem to be fine. The front shaft is at 10 and the pinion is at 9.
the front DS and Pinion angles should be the same....
its a double C shaft.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Remember the front DS rotates down when you drive forward and the Rear up, so the possibility that your front may sit at 8 pinion, and 10 DS during that time. Also have you checked to see if your axles shifted, this would give you another angular alignment issue.

Ron

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I rotated the driveshaft on the flange 180 and the vibe got worse so I am pretty sure its the rear. According to RE all tj rears are off to the side a little mine was 1/2 " last I checked. Plus the front angle have not changed at all since the lift was instaled so this is making me lean towards the rear. I rotaded the shaft 90 more and we will see.If it is not better it is going back to the starting point and I will pull the front shaft to elliminate that.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i had bad vibes with that combination too (minus the spacers). no mater what adjustments were made, i still had vibes. so i called TOM WOODS and talked with them. they told me that they sent out a bunch of shafts that were balanced on a machine that was operating improperly. so i sent it back, they rebalanced it, and sent it back to me. that took care of about 75% of the vibes leaving me only with vibes between 45 mph and 51 mph.

so i said screw it and bought long arms. now i have no vibes because i adjusted the wheel base and got an even lower pinion angle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts