Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order my lift w/in the next two weeks. I am deciding between the RE LA and SF kits, both would be 3.5".

I am looking to see pics of both installed, particularly ones that demonstrate ho low the t-case skid hangs w/ the LA kit, and then w/ the SF kit.

Ride is also a concern. Any input woudl be appreciated. I know the LA is supposed to be awesome, but I am still not convinced I want to sacrifice belly clearance for ride. Opinions? Btw I have medic skid as of now.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
orig i orderd a 3.5'' LA lift....they sent me 4.5'' springs
:D no complaints.

the blue TJ had a terra 6'' LA after driving my rubi Stu got
the RE LA ......NO BUMP STEER ride is awesome.
flex is super.

G

·
0 Posts
I have the 4.5 superflex kit with sub'd 3.5 springs. My skid hangs just as far down as stock, since it is still stock :lol: . I remember from measurements during a conversation with 4x4mac that his long arm skid has 1 inch more clearance than stock. You can't compare it to the tummy tuck, or Medics skid which have a lot more clearance, but still 1 more inch is good. My 3.5 rides nice, but I still have the Jeep wobble from it. I did get the chance to drive a 4.5 Long Arm TJ a few weeks ago and the difference it tremendous. The suspension is nice and solid underneath. THe bumps are smooth and the Jeep doesn't seem to hunt on the road afterwards. I will eventually upgrade to a Long Arm for mine.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Do you have a 1" BL, and are you going to run 33" tires?

I think you should go with the LA. It will drive better on road, off-road I'm not sure if it will give you much more for your money. I also think you should go with the 4.5" springs. I ran 4.5" springs with 33" tires and the flex was incredible and I thought it looked good. Also later if you want to upgrade to 35" tires all you need is a 1" BL or some 1.25" spring spacers. People often have concerns for the COG on the 4.5" coils with 33"s but I say they just worry too much. The ride is great and IMHO it looks better to sit up off the wheels alittle. The best feature is you get more flex and without taking out your fenders during extreme articulation. I had no problems with my COG and as long as you move outward with a new set of wheels you will be VERY stable and enjoy more flex (isn't that what it's all about!!!!). 0X

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you can get a LA now then I would suggest doing it.....Save yourself the headaches of doing it later.......Like me..Better road manners and easier to upgrade the lift height in the future..

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keep it coming guys! I am all for suggestions. I love the look of the 4.5", but its too tall IMO for 33's, but then again I did run it on my old tj w/ 33's.

But on this one i want 3.5" Tub fenders and eventually 35's...LOW COG:D.

COG makes a huge difference, thats why I scoot up alot of steep walls that i watch TJ rubi and the big boys I wheel with struggle on.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I went with the 4.5 kit from RE with 33s and I dont feel there is too much problem with COG....I can still take 50 mph turns without blinking, and dont feel real tipsey when im wheeling either. Another thought for you...when I wheel I air down to about 12psi, so you loose a little bit of the lift, not much...but possible enough to make a 4.5 kit a 3.75 or maby 3.5 or a 3.5 kit a 3 in kit or 2.75....maby im thinking way to much into this....LOL...oh well. More for the brain to think about!

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
When I ran my 4.5 SF COG was not an issue, at ALL!!! Very Stable and BETTER FLEX!!! I respectfully agree tho, the lower the better. Gain clearance under by skids. Also remember when you go with the LA you hack off the lower control arm brackets, those tend to get in the way whereas the LA sort of slide over rocks.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
SkyHighTJ said:
keep it coming guys! I am all for suggestions. I love the look of the 4.5", but its too tall IMO for 33's, but then again I did run it on my old tj w/ 33's.

But on this one i want 3.5" Tub fenders and eventually 35's...LOW COG:D.

COG makes a huge difference, thats why I scoot up alot of steep walls that i watch TJ rubi and the big boys I wheel with struggle on.
my total height is 4.5''springs + 1" BL net 5.5"
minus the loss for new bumpers
leaves me with 5" net.
and im running 33" tars!
:wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts