Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now it's my turn needing help. I am putting a lift if for my friends wife. He is quickly learning Jeeps bite and that wives are impatient. This is the lift that I started on Saturday, Sunday and now again tonight after work. I am down to a couple of items. One is why the heck didn't RE include new crush washers with their brake lines. WTF.. The Rear LCA's, crossing my fingers I don't have to hack any bolts off. And my problem.

I know I have to drill a hole to realign the front axle, but how far over does it have to be drilled. Right now I am pretty close to the stock hole, so I don't want to drill it there. For those of you that have installed these how far over did you drill your holes?

Ron... (I was amazed the t-case skid bolts came right out.)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you are drilling the front track bar mount on the axle then it is 1"...

Personally I would invest in the adjustable track bar. Make sure that is torqued down good and that the hole is drilled straight. Death wooble is not a fun experience.....

And as for the washers I agree but you should be fine using the existing ones. If you are concerned then head to the dealership and pick up some new ones.

Cheers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it is amazing that I can post this on JU and get no responses in 1/2 a day and put one post here and get an immediate response. I know why I like this board. I would love for him to have an adjustable Track Bar, but he is already over his budget. I can't figure that one out, she wants the lift, he wants to put it in, but she gave him a budget to work under, now she's mad he's spending so much time on it. Go figure? Thanks for the measurement. Time to drill tonight. I know what you mean by death wobble, my Grand did it once to me, so I am going to cut a template after drilling the first hole so that I can mark the back and keep it straight.

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
sounds like the wife needs a lesson in what JEEP stands for ...............

JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET.............. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help on the Trackbar. The Sahara is now out of my garage, windshield guy comes tomorrow to replace the windshield. Okay it wasn't cracked when we started this on saturday. The only thing left is to center the steering wheel and his wife can have it back. I explained J.E.E.P. to her and she replied "I just don't want to empty them all at once!" Wait until I give her the list of other parts needed to settle a few issues, and tell her she needs a new front pinion seal since it is leaking. I think I will email it.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Thanks for the help on the Trackbar. The Sahara is now out of my garage, windshield guy comes tomorrow to replace the windshield. Okay it wasn't cracked when we started this on saturday. The only thing left is to center the steering wheel and his wife can have it back. I explained J.E.E.P. to her and she replied "I just don't want to empty them all at once!" Wait until I give her the list of other parts needed to settle a few issues, and tell her she needs a new front pinion seal since it is leaking. I think I will email it.

Ron
your a good man RON.....
stand up to her and tell her to be a good JEEP Chick... and stop crying about the cost.....
sheeeeeeeesh.
easy to say my wife is in school right now,,,,
and honey i did not buy nothing yet today!
mac :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PRB - I wish you would have given me a call concerning the front track bar. You do not just drill a new hole 1" over from where the old one is. That is not acceptable.

Even though drilling a new hole is not the best option if you must here is the proper way to perform the task:

1 - once everything has been installed and the jeep is sitting on all fours disconnect the front track bar where it connects to the axle.

2 - you now must relax the front suspension/steering components and allow them to find their neutral position. This can be done in several ways: a) press down on the front bumper and jounce the front end several times, push the nose side-to-side, jounce the front end a few more times. -or- drive forward and backward 10-20 feet stabbing the brakes, see-saw the front wheel softly, etc.

3 - now that the front end has found its neutral position check the clearance between the upper portion of the front coils and the inner fender well - you should be able to slip your fingers in there equally on both sides - if one side is real tight and the other is loose repeate step 2.

4 - swing the stock track bar back up into the bracket and make note of where the new hole needs to be drilled. For most 3-4" lifts this number is right around 5/8ths of an inch over from the old hole. If by chance the new hole looks to be 3/8ths or less drilling a new hole is not recommended since it will bleed into the old hole.

There has only been one time where it was necessary for me to relocate a hole over 1"...that was with a 5.5" lift on a TJ. But then again we are only talking 1/4-3/8ths here - not that big of a deal. But I know you like to do things perfectly...not half-assed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay it is finally gone out of the driveway and back to it's owners. The track bar ended up being just under 3/4" to center the front end up. Steering wheel centered up nicely and after one adjustment can be driven down the road straight without touching the steering wheel. (no comments on safety here, I wasn't sitting on my hands) No noticeable vibs and it rides nice, so I call it a good job after all the pain of bolts. The amazing thing was I expected to have a nightmare with the T-case skid bolts, but they came right out. Cool thing is I am getting a tray of Chicken/ cheese and beef/ cheese enchiladas out of this. Yummm... Thanks for all the help. SY02, you know how fanatical I am about lining things up and making them perfect, but thanks for the post, I did everything you posted (before I read the post). Thanks all, now I can work on mine. (awaiting lift kit)

Ron

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Glad everything worked out.... 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts