Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago the display on my RB1 navigation radio stopped working. No display, radio would not tune to another station, only thing that worked was volume control. I had this unit repaired under warranty several years ago and it is not known for its reliability so I ordered a kenwood unit from Crutchfield. However, this morning after having some battery issues I had unhooked the ground cable from the battery, after hooking it back up and taking off for work I noticed that the display was up and running, good as new. Nav worked also. So it looks like I will have a new Kenwood unit for sale. The old "unhook your battery for 5 minute" reset looks like it works for more than just a ECU reset.
:D

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
Interesting...

I would wait before you sell the kenwood since it might be an electrical short and could come back.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hope your prolem doesnt return but im with greg on this one. Wait and see what happens.

Unplugging it shouldnt have really fixed it. Doesnt make much sense why. :confused:

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,064 Posts
unless you had a bad connection and unplugging it fixed it. I would also wait and see.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I introduced the word unplugged. I don't think he actually unplugged the unit itself, did you? I think it was just the negative battery cable. Im still crossing my fingers for you!

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, just unhooked the battery, RB1 working like new!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
the nav radio in my dodge 3500 occasionally will not turn on at all, pop the hood and pull the radio fuse for about 10 seconds and it works fine until the next time

·
Registered
36 Posts
My RB1 has been blanking out just like you described. It's strange it happens only sometimes and sometimes when I am driving it will just come back on by itself. I was thinking a loose connection but I am not sure. I was going to take it out and blow out the dust and see. But I don't think unplugging the battery will solve the problem.

The one thing I notice is if I turn off the truck for less than 5 min and start again it seems to happen more than not.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from 2 weeks of wheeling in Silverton and it worked great. Guy at local radio shop said unhooking ground cable at battery will reset the chip in the radio. Guess it did.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i forget the fuse # ( easy to find for radio) i would pull that fuse and it reset perfectly

;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
RB1

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with the RB1 radio and the screen went blank and only the volume would work. I figured the radio was dead so I purchased a unit off of ebay thinking this was going to fix the problem, but was I ever wrong. The new/used one would come on, but has no sound output and if I turned it off it wouldn't come back on. I returned that radio thinking it was a bad unit and purchased a second and it does the very same thing.

I have pulled/replaced the 20A fuse, unplugged and reconnected everything numerous times and still the same issue.

Anyone have any idea what causing this issue.

Thank you

·
Administrator
10,917 Posts
Hi there, you do realize this is a Jeep forum? The radio is probably common among different models but there could be (probably) wiring differences.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts