Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if this is a common noise in Rubicons. My 98TJ didn't make it. When I shut the engine off, sometimes I can hear a rattle coming from the transmission or somewhere in that location. I have a 5 speed. It doesn't do it all the time.

It's not really a problem, just something that my other jeep didn't do. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
Try pushing your clutch in when you turn off the engine. I don't know exaxtly why the Jeep makes this noise but both my 2002 and my Rubi made this noise. I think it is extremely common.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There are a lot of gears turning and when the engine shuts off sometimes it might kick back some. Before turning off engine step on clutch or put it in neutral then in gear to park it after engine has stopped.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was starting to think I was losing my mind. A new noise!!!

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll have to try the clutch in trick.. I looked under that damn Rubi for an hour starting, turning off etc. Only thing I figured was screw it, it's under warr. BTWI thought it was the rocks stuck between the x-fer case and cross member but that didn't cure it by cleanin them out. I got the 5spd too.

Mo

·
Registered
135 Posts
mine makes this noise randomly as well

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have the classic Jalopey sound as well. I believe it to be partially the T-Case linkage that is rattling. It is also attributed to the classic NV 3550 tranny rattle that you can hear when the JP is running and in Neutral. It is just louder when you shut down the engine. My 2K did it as well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's the Roc-Trac transfer case it pretty much does it on all of them. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. Like everyone else said just push in the clutch when you kill the engine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine does it every time. It's a feature, not a problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You also might check your exhaust- mine was really loose at the manifold. Turns out others have been having this problem as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts