Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I have a '03 Rubicon with 7600 miles. its a 5 spped manual.
Today I noticed that when I have the transmission in Netural and my food off the clutch. I am hearing a rattle in the gears..

Is this normal.. I called the dealership and they said yes.
But wants me to bring it in to be looked at

Anyone else got his?

Ron Byram
Charlotte NC

G

·
0 Posts
What your hearing is the Neutral output shaft spinning. Normal noise for the NV3550. Push in your clutch it goes away.

Ron

·
Registered
478 Posts
yes, my Rubicon sounds like a diesel when in neutral.. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Same here... I didn't notice it till this past weekend while wheeling..... had the radio off so I could hear the CB... before that the tunes were always blasting and I didn't notice... glad to hear it's normal! LOL

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Just means that it is working right.... :wink:

It is a feature that came with the NV3550 in 2k and it just won't go away..

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've gotten used to the marbles with the clutch out.

But now, 2nd gear is wineing (sp?) a bit. Especially when de-accelerating.

It sounds like my old HI truck in 1st. Anyone else?

It also has a 'gear sound' when taking off in 1st or 2nd. Should I turn the radio up and keep driving?

Thanks, Chris

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Just a part of having a heavy duty transmission, the benefit out weighs the annoyance IMO. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
CCraig said:
It also has a 'gear sound' when taking off in 1st or 2nd. Should I turn the radio up and keep driving?

Thanks, Chris
That's what I did till reading this... now I lower it occasionally just to make sure everythings all right and clanking like normal :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks,

I was hoping some noise would go away as the gears wear in, not get worst. I installed a B&M couple of weeks ago. Maybe it is letting more sound through. (I don't think it is.) It's just the noise in the driver's head.

Now if I can get the voices to stop......

Thanks again, Chris

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
CCraig said:
Thanks,

...................It's just the noise in the driver's head.

Now if I can get the voices to stop......

Thanks again, Chris
What do your's say? My voices say "Do more MODS! Spend all your money!"

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm a slave to the voices. I've spent it all. Now, they're saying something about: more work = more money = more mods = no money = more work = .........

I'm dizzy... They are there even when I sleep. Someone make the 'AirRock' ghost go away.

This IS a support group..... right?

My name is Chris and I'm addicted.

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
CCraig said:
I'm a slave to the voices. I've spent it all. Now, they're saying something about: more work = more money = more mods = no money = more work = .........

I'm dizzy... They are there even when I sleep. Someone make the 'AirRock' ghost go away.

This IS a support group..... right?

My name is Chris and I'm addicted.

Ok everyone... all together now

HI CHRIS!!

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
CCraig said:
Nope.

Resistance is futile.... You will be assimilated.

Jerry

·
Registered
628 Posts
Were all addicted, but they say acceptance is the first step.

Adam

·
Registered
478 Posts
canadianrubi said:
Were all addicted, but they say acceptance is the first step.

Adam
But only after you get over the "denial stage" :roll:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't even know what the second step is.....

I'm too happy and having fun in the first step.

I'm hopeless. And Jerry's not helping me.

G

·
0 Posts
Marbles in my NV3550

Hi Guys

I too have the marbles in Transmission while in nuetral with clutch out.

Funny my NV4500 in my other jeep doesn't do this and it is definetly a Heavy duty Transmission

Brian

·
Registered
413 Posts
Got rid of most of this noise & the horrific rattle when shutting the engine off while in neutral with the clutch out. I went to a Royal Purple synthetic. I believe it was a 70w90 or gear max or something like that. I put the PURPLE every where. It was time for the rear diff and oil any ways. Front was done by dealer 2 weeks earlier when they changed out both seals.

The amazing thing to me was the improved gas mileage. I'm getting 1.5 mpg better since changing. Thought it was a fluke the first tank and now after 1500 miles since changing it is still getting the better numbers.

The stuff wasn't cheap $5 qrt for engine oil & $9.99 qrt for everything else. Don't know if I'll stick with it for the engine or not but it will always be everywhere else from now on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts