Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getitng a rattle/knocking sound coming from the tranny. I can produce this sound by starting in first and taking off then abruptly lettng off the gas. Once I let up on the gas I can feel in the shifter a rattle/knock almost like something is loose. It is also noticibale in reverse as well. Please note that this is different from the throw-out bearing noise that is common in the NV3550 Tranny. I brought it to the Dealer and had a mechanic go out with me for a test ride. He also felt it and told me that this was a normal occurance with the NV3550.

I'm a little hesitant to take his word on this so I'd like to get some opinions from others on the forum with the NV3550.

Most of the time I follow the philosophy that if you hear noises/rattles then turn up the radio, it's a Jeep. However this one I want to make sure of. Thanks

Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If the dealership is not willing to help you, you may want to take it to another dealer. If you are feeling brave you can get someone to get in the JP and let out the clutch with the brake on. You don't want to pop the clutch but you want to get some stress on the drivetrain and now the fun part...You will need to be under the JP looking at the transfercase and tranny area. See if you can see any possible contact or if there is a loose exhaust hanger(specifically the one on the tranny). I know this sounds kind of wierd and scary to do but it will help get an Idea of what is going on under there.

You may need to have your person of choice stress the drivetrain several times to get a good picture..Good luck and let us know what the out come is.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
147 Posts
John, This one is going to be a long shot but it happened to me. HAve ya been out wheeling and didn't clean out the tranny skid? I had kind of a knock\rattle then I looked between the skid and transfer case and found some rocks that were lodged between the transfer case and skid. Cleaned it out and it was good. Other than that i have no unusual noises except when i turn the truck off and start it back up. (shrugs) I haven't figured that one out yet.

Good Luck

Mo

·
Registered
843 Posts
I assume

the noise you're hearing is NOT the NORMAL reverse Idler rattle? If you're new to this tranny that may be just what you hear and describe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first witht the NV3550. I had a 98 TJ before this. I think you may be be right about the normal reverse noise. However, is it normal for it to happen in 1st as well? Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
JohnL said:
This is my first witht the NV3550. I had a 98 TJ before this. I think you may be be right about the normal reverse noise. However, is it normal for it to happen in 1st as well? Thanks
Go to a dealership and take another one for a drive. See if you still hear it and that will put your mind at ease. The is you first experience with the NV and as stong as it is it makes alot of noise too..

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts