Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last outings I have been on have been with highly modified TJ's. I am talking 37" tires, 4:1 x-fer cases, and 6" or higher longarm lifts, lockers front and rear.

My Rubi, running only a 2" budget boost took the same lines through all the obstacles with no problems, other than some scraping of the skid.

Am I impressed? - YES.
Am I glad I bought the Rubi? - YES
Were the others I was with impressed? - YES

Rubi responded well to every command of the Lockers immediatley, no problems what-so-ever. By far it is the best Jeep I have ever owned or made by the factory.

What does Rubi need now? I want to do a Tummy-Tuck, 3" Tera Springs, keeping the factory control arms, 1" body lift, and 33" tires. I really think that's all she needs.

The Waterfall in Old Chinamans Gulch, Colorado - 6/22/03

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You should also give the drive some credit. No matter how well the JP is built the driver has to command her. Good job Griz proving the Rubi was worth the $$.

Cheers

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Mine constantly amazes me compared to older Jeeps I had. I just wish I had the rocks to play on like you do. Any more pictures of your outing?

Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Mine constantly amazes me compared to older Jeeps I had. I just wish I had the rocks to play on like you do. Any more pictures of your outing?

Ron
I totally agree. I wheel with guys that have pretty built Jeeps and it is pretty rare that I encounter things where I would need to be bigger and sometimes I even have the advantage. However, that being said, larger tires gives more ground clearance and we all know how much banging and scraping we hear under us. I truly believe that 35's and a belly up would be the perfect size. I can't wait until I have enough $$ to get a Medic skid.

G

·
0 Posts
Was that the run with the Colorado 4-Wheelers? I really wanted to do that, but work got in the way (that's it...I'm going to have to quit!). Glad to hear how well the Rubi perfomed!!

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
LILRDJP said:
You should also give the drive some credit. No matter how well the JP is built the driver has to command her. Good job Griz proving the Rubi was worth the $$.

Cheers

Sean
I second Sean's comments. Good job Griz. I want to see what the comments will be after some experienced Jeepers get some more trail time on their Rubis.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Rubi climbed the Waterfall with very little slipping, walked right up. Locked up.

I have some videos of the climbs. Just have not had time to sit down and get them uploaded, I'll post links as soon as I have them up. Also still pictures.

We ran into the Colorado4x4.org group when we were up there, I don't post my runs because I get too many rigs on my rides, last time I posted I had 32 vehicles show up to run Hackett and Longwater Gulches, I like to keep it down to under 10 vehicles, and you may call me a snob, but usually only Jeeps.

Not to brag, but you are right, driver experience makes a lot of difference. I've run some trails with other Rubi's where they did not perform as well. I've been 4 wheeling 30+ years.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
While running Chinamans Gulch on Sunday in my Rubi with my OME 2" lift and 285/75/16's I ran across Griz at the waterfall. He had already climbed the waterfall, so I did not get to see his Rubi in action but I can see from his pics that he had no difficulty at all.

Actually it looks as though he made it up easier than I did as my front bumper made contact before my wheels even touched the rocks. I didn't really have any problems though I just let the Rubi walk to the left about a foot and climbed right up and yes I was locked. Had a little shovel scrapage as well.

I have to say that the Rubi was awsome in the rocks. I had no problem following the guys that I was with who were running 4" lifts, 33s & 35s as well as front an rear ARBs. The 4 to 1 in the Rubi is sweet, it just pulls you right through the obstacles. I would agree with Griz that this is the best jeep ever built out of the factory.

What I learned on this trip is I need to get my 1" bodylift installed as I was rubbing the flairs quite a bit as I was running the trail disconnected. I am also going to look into a new belly skid.

Rubi's Rock

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Great pics Griz!!! It's good to see Rubicon holding it's own with other heavily built vehicles. All I hear is how we paid to much for a TJ that can be built better for soooo much cheaper. I personally think we just started building ours at a higher level and will ultimately be much happier.

I can't wait to get out of this muddy area where I live and try some interesting obstacles.

Have a great day!

Ken

G

·
0 Posts
Glad to see you made it out on that run MtnClimber! Now we're going to have to pick a day so that you can show me the trail!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had the Tera 3T with factory arms installed for a month or so now. You like it, the coils are really high quality. I got away without a transfer case drop, too! You WILL want an adjustable front trac arm or the front end will handle poorly.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I hold to the belief that its 90% driver and 10% rig. I think the rig only makes the driver look good while driving it :) haha But seriously... see it all the time. People with all the money in the world buy all the newest toys but cant drive worth **** and break every piece of it. I have seen it in the rubi world already.

Justin

·
Registered
85 Posts
You've got to admit that the 'big dawgs' consider Chinamen a yawner. I too walked up the Waterfall with no problems, in my Rubi when it was bone stock. The Rubi definitely makes it easier than most. I've seen totally open rigs with 33" tires take the middle line- they struggle a bit, but make it nonetheless.

...but try to take the left line at the Waterfall- that's where the 37" rigs will show you the ropes. I think a Rubi with 35" tires and a tummy tuck might be able to make it, provided the front axle holds together.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have posted some videos of us at the waterfall.
You have to be a member of Imagestation.com to get access, it is free.

Imagestation Videos

Hope you enjoy!

I'll post more later.

BTW - My skid was not scraping, but my rear bumper was.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Griz,
thanks for the vids.... those were great!

liked the bumper sounds your Rubi makes.
:wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts