Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few U-Joint questions. The Diff side of the driveshafts are 1330 series correct? Is there any tricks to replacing the pinion yokes or is it just a bolt on affair? The the stock Spicer 549 joints in the front axle equivelent to the 760x? Are the 760x a 1330 series joint?

I think most of you know where I'm coming from - I want to replace the nylon-injected joints on the axle and replace the cheezy straps at the pinion with U-bolts. I was hoping the 760x would work for all four so I could carry one type of spare. Thanks in advance 8)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dave....

When I did my CV conversion the DS place put a 5-213X on the axle end. This is a 1330 U joint made by spicer. You should be able to use u-bolts on the pinion end but I am not sure. With the straps it will create a weak point and hopefully not cause a yoke to go.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I'll keep that part # in mind. I hear that straps are a real PITA to replace on the trail and tend to explode etc, I would rather the U-joint be the fuse so that everything else is intact. I'll ask my local shop if the 760x is a 1330. 8)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
drifter dave said:
thanks I'll keep that part # in mind. I hear that straps are a real PITA to replace on the trail and tend to explode etc, I would rather the U-joint be the fuse so that everything else is intact. I'll ask my local shop if the 760x is a 1330. 8)
I wouldn't say the straps are a PITA to replace....It is 4 bolts that are facing you when you need to take them off... With u-bolts it is 4 bolts that are on the back side of the pinion...Dunno...Either way I perfer the straps as they are now the weak point... with U-bolts you have the chance of taking the u-joint and the pinion yoke out..

I would like to hear more info from people that have used u-bolts on this as I have limited knowledge of the benifits the them....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically when the straps break it almost always sheers the bolts off mid-thread requiring you to drill them out to replace your strap thus leaving you stranded or at least really pissed off. The bolts are WAY stronger. New pinion yokes will be required to run the u-bolts. These are available at Randy's Ring and Pinion. Good insurance. One of my friends went through this hell already so I added the upgrade to my never ending "list" :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I always thought that the front axle u joints where one size and the driveshafts where another size.

Also, the front axle joints should be held on with the regular clips and the driveshaft joints have the plastic retainers that need to be torched out.

Could be wrong though.

Has anyone changed out one of the unjoints that need to be torched? If so, how hard is it? I was also thinking of changing them out at home to the regular ujoints with the clip retainers.

G

·
0 Posts
u-joints

a 760x and 297x are the same size,the only difference is the strength, the 760 is better, as far as 1330 joints they are totally different the axle joints, as far as drilling out the yokes, if you could ,i wouldnt

·
Registered
478 Posts
I tried to source a u-joint from a jobber wholesaler yesterday, of course Rubicon isn't in the catalogs yet. They couldn't find me one for two different cup sizes. I had to courier one in overnight from a Dealer in Vancouver. Has anyone actually installed jobber u-joints in the drive shafts of a Rubicon? If so what is the part number? The OE joints are $$$$$$$$!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts