Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What additional mods did you have to do to eliminate Driveline Vibs...IE combonation of CV w/Adjustable control arms, or MM lift w/ TC drop..etc.....just wondering....trying to get smart so when I order my lift im not squirming for info then.
Pete M

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
What additional mods did you have to do to eliminate Driveline Vibs...IE combonation of CV w/Adjustable control arms, or MM lift w/ TC drop..etc.....just wondering....trying to get smart so when I order my lift im not squirming for info then.
Pete M
First off you will be getting the adjustable control arms with the complete kit so that is one thing down. I would suggest going with a CV DS when this is done. This will allow smooth adjustment of the driveline angle. This will also allow you to put on a new belly skid when you are ready. I see that you are willing to do a MML which will need a BL and this would help with the vibes after adjusting the CA's. I would stay away from any t-case drops. You got one from the factory you don't need anymore. :wink:

One thing that I can really suggest if you are going with the 4.5 is that you order a rear adjustable track bar. I used the bracket that come with the lift on my 4.5 and my rear axle is still off by about .75" and it is causing some vibes. I thought that the springs would sag a bit more than they have but nope. If you ask for the rear adjustable track bar with the order you will be able to save a little $$ on it.

Cheers

Sean

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LILRDJP said:
petesjeeprubi said:
Pete M
First off you will be getting the adjustable control arms with the complete kit so that is one thing down. I would suggest going with a CV DS when this is done. This will allow smooth adjustment of the driveline angle. This will also allow you to put on a new belly skid when you are ready. I see that you are willing to do a MML which will need a BL and this would help with the vibes after adjusting the CA's. I would stay away from any t-case drops. You got one from the factory you don't need anymore. :wink:

One thing that I can really suggest if you are going with the 4.5 is that you order a rear adjustable track bar. I used the bracket that come with the lift on my 4.5 and my rear axle is still off by about .75" and it is causing some vibes. I thought that the springs would sag a bit more than they have but nope. If you ask for the rear adjustable track bar with the order you will be able to save a little $$ on it.

Cheers

Sean
Sean,
Strait out of the Box with no CV DS or any other mods applied but the RE 4.5 what kind of driveline vibes etc should I expect...will it be drivable, will I need to park it untill I get a new DS, will I be able to drive on the highway speeds..etc..I just want to know in case I have to wait for the DS.
Pete M

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Unfortunately Pete I can't give you a definate answer on that as no two jeeps are the same. I would say that with the CA set up properly with the factory DS you would be able to keep the Vibes to a MIN. This unfortunately will have to be a trial and error system. With the MML and the CA you should also be good and definately better then with out the MML.

How much highway driving you got to do?. I ran with out a rear DS for 2 weeks while I got mine built. I don't have far to go to work less then 2.5 miles. This will not hurt anything as long as you follow the suggested speed by JP and don't make sharp turns in the parking lots.

Do the lift and play with the arms. I would bet $$ that you will be able to set it up with min vibes that you will be able to live with untill you can get a CV.

If you need any help with the lift and such just drop me a message.

Sean

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just did this lift,
First get the TW DS, second make sure and ger the RE 1602 bracket for the rear track bar not the 1603 that comes with the kit. You dont need the rear adj track bar. According to RE the rear axle is supposed to be off center some to eliminate rubbing at full stuff. You can put the lift on, measure for the DS, put the T-case drop in till the DS arrives. Then just remove it once the new shaft is in. It took two days to install and like two weeks of messing with it to elliminate all the vibes and get it to ride good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
second make sure and ger the RE 1602 bracket for the rear track bar not the 1603 that comes with the kit.
Please tell us the benefit of the 1602 bracket. I have the suplied bracket

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The 1602 is a angled bracket for when you turn up the Pinion.

Here are the differences..

·
Registered
359 Posts
The RE 1602 keeps the stock track bar from binding when you rotate the pinion to adjust the driveline to eliminate vibes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
why the hell would they not supply this bracket in the first place :mad:

How much?

·
Registered
359 Posts
when you order the kit they will swap it out for like 5 $ if you tell them.I did not know till after the fact and they swapped out for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
doodoob said:
when you order the kit they will swap it out for like 5 $ if you tell them.I did not know till after the fact and they swapped out for me anyway.
$5.00!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell is that about. They did mine for free. At least you go it.

Sean

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just ordered the 4.5Sf kit and called them after reading this topic on the 1602 or 1603 bracket.

They told me they sent the 1603 and that the 1602 could only be used if you were using a CV. I stated well if I have vibes then I'll have to order th TW CV so what do I do with the 1603.I asked if they would exchange it for the 1602 which I'll then need.He replied NO.I think it's a bunch of **** that I have to give tham another $55.00 to replace a bracket thats been on the Jeep for a mile,when they know there was going to be vibes and I'd have to go with the TW CV and 1602

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
krubi said:
I just ordered the 4.5Sf kit and called them after reading this topic on the 1602 or 1603 bracket.

They told me they sent the 1603 and that the 1602 could only be used if you were using a CV. I stated well if I have vibes then I'll have to order th TW CV so what do I do with the 1603.I asked if they would exchange it for the 1602 which I'll then need.He replied NO.I think it's a bunch of **** that I have to give tham another $55.00 to replace a bracket thats been on the Jeep for a mile,when they know there was going to be vibes and I'd have to go with the TW CV and 1602
Who did you talk to at RE?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
krubi said:
Unfortunatley I didn't get a name.Should I call back?
yup....get name for me

sean

·
Registered
57 Posts
Okay,I should have gotten a name but it's to late now for that.
Sooo,my guestion is.Do I install the 4.5SF kit with the 1603 they sent and prey I don't have any vibes or just wait till next week to install and get the 1602. Or do I install and see if I have vibes and if so order the Tom Woods CV and 1602?

I had really planned to do this tomorrow with some friends I had lined up to help.Please tell me what to do,I don't want to tear something up by putting in the 1603.

Thanks,
KRUBI

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
krubi said:
Okay,I should have gotten a name but it's to late now for that.
Sooo,my guestion is.Do I install the 4.5SF kit with the 1603 they sent and prey I don't have any vibes or just wait till next week to install and get the 1602. Or do I install and see if I have vibes and if so order the Tom Woods CV and 1602?

I had really planned to do this tomorrow with some friends I had lined up to help.Please tell me what to do,I don't want to tear something up by putting in the 1603.

Thanks,
KRUBI
Go a head and put on the lift. You will be able to use the bracket that you have been given. It maybe a bit of a challenge to get it in place but it will work. This is the first time I have used this the 1602. The 1603 will work. If do find that you are having some vibes and you have to rotate the pinion up then when you order your CV order the bracket then. I don't think it will be a problem.

You won't tear anything up.

If you have any questions during the install send me a PM and I will give you my number and you can call with any questions.

Cheers

Sean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts