Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Question about Buying Rubicon from a Noob

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is James. I'm looking into buying a new Jeep, hopefully a Rubicon. I've got two fullsize blazers right now and I'm trying to get rid of them so I can get something new with a warranty. I'm wondering if the Rubicon's are going for sticker price or if the Dealers are willing to come down. I've read that the norm for wranglers is 3k off the sticker and was wondering if this holds true to the Rubicon's as well.

I just got back from Vacation in Colorado where we rented a Wrangler X for two days and did Imogene and a few other passes and needless to say as soon as I graduate I'm moving to CO :D . I was swaying between a Silverado or a Jeep Rubicon and that trip and rental made the choice for me. Hopefully being a poor college kid won't stad in the way too much :lol: .

Ya'll have a great site and hopefully one day I will own one too.

Thanks,
James

G
#2 ·
I think it depends very much on what part of the country you are in, and how heavily stocked up the dealers are. In New Jersey, I recently heard of a dealer who had over 20 Rubicons in stock. Out west, there is not as much surplus. When I got mine last fall, I bought at $250 over invoice. But now, at the end of the model year, the 2003s have lost a lot thru depreciation, and you should be able to do a lot better than I did. Most important thing is to forget about the sticker, and find out what the invoice price is, and you can get that from edmunds or kelly blue book. Good luck!!

--David

#3 ·
This is what I do.. No matter how much ya want the car dont act overly excited (dealers love to see a sucker).. If paying cash come up with a top dollar and start way below that and let them talk ya into more money. If financing come up with a top monthly payment you can afford COMFORTABLE then tell them a mp below that.. If they cant meet ya in the middle move on.. Tell them to call ya when they can I can almost guarntee that they will have called by the time ya get home.. Just remember this Jeep wont kill ya if ya dont get it!! Just stick to your guns. Do what ya feel is right and the rest will happen on its own :) Sorry for spelling.. And Good Luck
Chaz

#5 ·
Thanks for the Info ya'll. I could easily get by with a basic I6 5Speed Jeep but I know I'll probably spend more $$ to try to make it like a Rubicon than if I just bought one to start with. The one on the local lot, which is the first I've seen in the few months i've been looking is Stickered @ 28,500 and I ran a TMV from Edmunds and got about 26,500. There are several in Houston which is fairly close so I hoping that I'll be able to use that as leverage as most people claim to get better deals there than here. I just sold my 91 K5 since I made my first post :eek: So I'm a little bit closer.

Thanks agian for the info,
James

#6 ·
My Rubi only has two options... Air Conditioning and 7 speakers. I did this so that the final price would be managable. So, I would recommend that you keep looking until you find the one with ONLY the options you want. Even if you can get a price lower than MSRP, hold out until you get what you want.

Just my $0.02

G
#9 ·
New Rubi owner

Congrats on the new Rubi James! There's nothing quite like hearing another Jeeper say, "The Rubicons won't have a problem with that". I went with a local club a couple weeks back and I'm amazed at the stuff the Rubicons can conquer with ease. :D I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

#10 ·
Thanks Guys

I love this thing, It rides sooo much better than my old Blazer did. I don't know what the magazines were talking about when they complained about the ride. I do see what the were talking about with less power but this ain't a dragster and it has plenty of get up and go. I think the heavy wheel and tire is responsible for this as the X that we rented had small tires on it. Now I just go to get a Hitch on it so I can haul the fourwheeler up to the deer lease when I go in a few weeks.

#11 ·
Sweet man. I am glad you are happy with it, especially after you bought it. I don't know what all those reviewers were talking about either. Apparently a vehicle sucks if it doesn't ride like a Lexus. Personally, I prefer it. I think of it as my little way of helping out the environment by not using one of those little plastic stir sticks for my coffee. The little bumps on the road mix the cream in nicely. ;) :p

Truck frame AND truck driveline AND truck suspension <> Lexus ride

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.