Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i run 15 " wheels on my Rubicon or not, I have been told not to because the brake cal. will rub. Is that the case or is the tire company tring to empty my check book some more? I know that the 16's (wheels & tires) are a bit more, but isn't it all about saving money.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can understand the need to save money but You Bought A Jeep!!!! Its a money sink!!!!!! Just kinding I know a few PPL on the board run 15's they will fit and work fine!!

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I've got 15" wheels and they work just fine - no contact issues at all. I like the fact that the same size tire tire has a slightly higher aspect ratio when comparing a 15" to a 16" wheel. This allows a little extra height, and or wider, softer footprint, when aired down to your off-road psi.

Ken

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got 15s.

15":
-more sidewall=better flex
-wheel is farther from rocks, so less rim rash
-15" tire sizes are more common and can often be bought cheap used.

16":
-16" wheel gives better road manners
-with 35"+ tires a 16" (or even 17") keeps the bead seated better
-there are many cool sizes in 16" like a 33x11.5"

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is your input on the baja claw and pro comp x-terrain tires.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would go with 16" rims for any tire over 35". The problem is that Allied doesn't sell a 16" beadlock. Curses, I guess it's 15s for me.

If you are the type of person who likes to change tires like they change their underwear then go with 15" rims, you will be able to get better resale out of the tires. This also works the other way, there are more used tires available in 15" rim sizes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts