Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I didn't think it was cool to name shops that I was disappointed with. I'm not here for that. I think I'm gonna try to do this gear swap and seal change myself. Just contemplating what ratio to go with. I think I'll take a chance and go with 4.88's eventhough my gut tells me not to. my gut tells me to use 4.56's but i figured if the 88's rev to high for me I could always go to a 37in tire. I have 35's now that need replacing so I can drive it with those before buying new ones. I'm just a bit nervous because I got alot of feedback indicating that the rubicon dana 44's are a bit more difficult to work with than most axles because of the type of lockers????? With no reputable shops in the area I dont have much choice now.
Gotcha, I just wanted to make sure you had checked everywhere. I don't have the balls to mess with the differential on my own. I've heard that you should take picture of every step while you're taking it apart. That makes it easier to figure out where that random part you have no clue what it's for goes back in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you're picking the right course. Post pics of the install!
I'm having my dana 44's front and rear rebuilt for my frame off restoration project 2003 rubicon and was torn between 4.56's or 4.88's. I had a 4.6 stroker engine built by Chad at Golen Engines for it pushing 327 torque and 291 hp. Gonna run 35's. Unfortunately I live on Long Island so there will be little to none off roading just some beach for night fishing and the occasional logging trail upstate. And ofcourse New York snow. Mostly road driving so I don't want to be screaming the revs too high, also keepin mind the massive increase in power over a stock engine with the stroker. What do ya'll think 4.56 or 4.88 thanks
I would spend my first dollar on a big brake kit if you already have 35s on it. Makes a huge difference when you need to stop in a hurry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having my dana 44's front and rear rebuilt for my frame off restoration project 2003 rubicon and was torn between 4.56's or 4.88's. I had a 4.6 stroker engine built by Chad at Golen Engines for it pushing 327 torque and 291 hp. Gonna run 35's. Unfortunately I live on Long Island so there will be little to none off roading just some beach for night fishing and the occasional logging trail upstate. And ofcourse New York snow. Mostly road driving so I don't want to be screaming the revs too high, also keepin mind the massive increase in power over a stock engine with the stroker. What do ya'll think 4.56 or 4.88 thanks
I have an '03 Rubicon with 204K on it. Was considering a 4.6 stroker too. Curious to see how your build turns out!

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,123 Posts
running 5.3l V8s in Both of my LJs. one has 4.10 gears and one has 4,88 gears. The 4.88 gears are definitely peppier, but i dislike the high RPMs on the highway. If you want it to be a dragster, then go to high gears, but stock 4.10s work well the rest of the time.

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you regear the axles, I suggest getting rid of the OEM lockers and go to ARB lockers front and rear. I would hate to have you spend money on a regear only to blow out the factory rear locker which is the weak link. Do it once and do it right.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts