Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the medic Tcase skid for my manual rubicon, and I am having a few issues.. The tcase shifter is really hard to move now, and I have re adjusted it several times.. Not sure what else to do there. Also having lots of exhuast issues.. The exhaust now hits the Gas tank skid as well as the Tcase skid as well as the front control arm mount... Anyone else having this problems or have solutions to get them fixed...

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
how dose installing a skid cause the problem? Maby it wasnt installed right? I really wouldnt know though b/c I dont have a skid. There are lots of guys who have that skid on w/no issues so sombody should be able to help ya.
Pete M

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Did you ry to contact medic? His website lists his email as [email protected]. Or you can send him a PM on this forum. He's medic3720.

A number of folks have installed his skid with excellent results. No offense, but it sounds like you may have missed something along the way on the install.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have heard of cases where the skid (not just his) affects the exhaust. You will probably have to raise the exhaust system up. I suggest going and getting a flowmaster and have them raise it and hack off the end near the rear axle (this would eliminate the gas skid issue). Many have to mod their exhaust system so looks like your one of them. As far as the t-case shifter, mines a bitch and it's still stock. Ask around I have heard of a shifter relocation bracket that works well. My sister's boyfriend made one for his 02 sahara and it works awesome. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is how the shifter and exhaust issues can come to light with any lifted skid plate. Medic makes a good skid, but since I haven't installed one, I can only relate my experiences with some of the others and not specifically the Rubicon's even though there isn't much difference in most of the components.

For the exhaust, one of the locating brackets is attached to the side of the transmission, so as you raise the transmission, you also raise the exhaust. The front is firmly attached to the engine, so the exhaust rotates outward at this point coming into contact with the front control arm bracket. As for the rear, it rotate inwards and backwards because the transmission bracket has operated like a fulcrum point. Remember the front went outwards so the back has to go inwards. There is your contact problem.

Exhaust solution - You will need to have the mounting brackets reworked or have the exhaust rebent. Not an easy solution if they are hanging up.

For the transfer case bracket binding, that is another simple case of offsetting your angles. Your lever attaches to a rod underneath, this rod attaches to a rotating assembly and then another rod goes to the t-case shifter. The rotating assembly is attached to the t-case on one end and the body on the other. What happened is that you raised the t-case end, but not the body end, so the whole shifter assembly now has to work at an angle thus binding up, no different than trying to shift when you are flexed up on the trail.

Transfer case solution - you can install either the skyjacker shifter relocation bracket, or the Advanced Adapters relocation bracket. I have the skyjacker and love it, I've seen the AA and thought it was cheaply made, but others like it, both will do the job, just a question of asthetics and cost. You can see the Skyjacker on on my site.

Did you install a BL and MML prior to installing Medics skid?

Ron

·
Registered
699 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Transfer case solution - you can install either the skyjacker shifter relocation bracket, or the Advanced Adapters relocation bracket. I have the skyjacker and love it, I've seen the AA and thought it was cheaply made, but others like it, both will do the job, just a question of asthetics and cost. You can see the Skyjacker on on my site.

Did you install a BL and MML prior to installing Medics skid?

Ron
I am about to buy a Medic skid, and I already have the previously mentioned rattling noise. . . where can I find a Skyjacker Shifter Relocation Bracket? I don't see it on their web site and the online retailers I've checked don't carry it. Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
petesjeeprubi and JerryC
have you ever looked at a Tcase skid, there are 6 bolts, and they only go in 1 way. There is no way to screw it up. You bolt it to the frame and tighten the tcase bolts to the bottom. Just b/c it went on without a problem on someones jeep doenst mean it is my fault it doesnt work on mine. Look at all the people that run 4-5 inches of lift with no vibes, some people cant run 3... Varries from jeep to jeep.

Anyways, PBR Stitch is right about how the Tcase effects the exhaust... I will take it to a shop and see what they say they can do, this might be a reason to get a new high flow exhaust...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am buy'n both medic skids very soon and will be very curious to how you solve your skid issues.

On the exhuast, I have found at least one 03 Rubicon auto tranny, that the exhuast scheme was a little different from mine. Knowing that, I can see why one may have issues and one may not.

Stuff like that makes it hard on a fabricator thats for sure.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mike, one thing to try is to loosen all six bolt that hold the transmission skid to the frame, and attempt to shift it one way, (probably to the passsenger side) to aleviate any stress on the shift. I have to say you are the first to say that the shifter is hard to work... As far as the exhuast you can heat the exhaust brackets and attempt to bend them out of the way to solve your clearance issues. On the passenger control arm make sure your exhuast is tight at the manifold, more than one person complaining that this is not tightend at the factory very well.

If you have any more problems shoot me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a call....Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
mikeherlands said:
petesjeeprubi and JerryC
have you ever looked at a Tcase skid, there are 6 bolts, and they only go in 1 way. There is no way to screw it up. You bolt it to the frame and tighten the tcase bolts to the bottom. Just b/c it went on without a problem on someones jeep doenst mean it is my fault it doesnt work on mine. Look at all the people that run 4-5 inches of lift with no vibes, some people cant run 3... Varries from jeep to jeep.

Anyways, PBR Stitch is right about how the Tcase effects the exhaust... I will take it to a shop and see what they say they can do, this might be a reason to get a new high flow exhaust...
It wasnt a personal attack on your ability to install the piece of equiptment, I was just trying to help you bud.
Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JeepDawg said:
I am about to buy a Medic skid, and I already have the previously mentioned rattling noise. . . where can I find a Skyjacker Shifter Relocation Bracket? I don't see it on their web site and the online retailers I've checked don't carry it. Thanks!
The Skyjacker part # you are looking for is JSRB231A. I got mine from 4wd hardware. Part #57722 $56.95 They were comprable to the lowest price I found elsewhere, and since I was ordering some other small stuff, I got it from them.

Skyjacker Bracket

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikeherlands said:
petesjeeprubi and JerryC

Mike, chill... no one is attacking you, we know you are frustrated. Every Jeep is different, but we can't see your Jeep, nor were we there to help you on an install (yes, even sitting in the garage drinking beer and watching you work is helping as it's been explained to me :lol: ). Given the chance I would be willing to help everyone with an install. So we have to throw things out there, give us the bounce back and let us know if you've already done that, or what. Once we have an image of how it is in place and where things are we can help. I've asked people what you would think were some really dumb questions, and had that turn out to be the problem. Sometimes taking it off and putting it back on fixes the problem. Something could have easily went wrong with the install, Skid could be twisted, rotated, etc, etc... Were here to help you as best we can. Now back to the topic. Give Jerry's (Medic) solution a try.

Ron

·
Registered
699 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
JeepDawg said:
The Skyjacker part # you are looking for is JSRB231A. I got mine from 4wd hardware. Part #57722 $56.95 They were comprable to the lowest price I found elsewhere, and since I was ordering some other small stuff, I got it from them.

Skyjacker Bracket

Ron
Thanks Ron! I'm hoping that installing Jerry's skid will stop the noise. If not, I'll try the Skyjacker route.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
mikeherlands said:
petesjeeprubi and JerryC
I've spent a lot of time with my face and body up against my Jeep's Tcase skid, thank you. I'm very familiear with how it looks. I guess you missed the part where I said "No offense..." No problem.

It seems you also missed my suggestion to contact medic since he had to initiate his own post later advising you to shift the skid before torquing it down. No problem.

But please don't miss this point: On this forum we treat all members fairly, and with respect. No flames, no personal attacks. Everyone is welcome, regardless of experience, as long as they follow those simple rules of courtesy. Don't follow those rules, and then we'll have a problem.

Have good day, and I hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Jerry

·
Registered
343 Posts
Installed mine today (Automatic). No problem with the skid. I did however have to cut the 18MM bolt on the driver’s side that holds the little transmission skid. It just turned and turned and turned - would not come out. Fortunately I didn't need that hole again. If I ever do I'll deal with it then. Other than that it was a smooth install. Oh yeah, I think there is a touch of the vibes when I first take off down the road. Not a skid issue though.

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an automatic with 1" BL and 1" MML. Installed the Medic transfer case skid without any problems with fitment. I did have to remove the transfer case shifter relocation bracket that I had installed with the BL.

Shifter works fine after adjusting the shifter rod. I took the exhaust brackets loose and moved the exhaust pipes by hand and re-tightened them - no problems. Also had to tighten the bolts holding the pipes to the exhaust manifold. Must have been loose from the factory.

I am going to install the engine/tranny skid this week end.

All I can say is that Midic's skids and customer service is far and away better than any other vendor I have dealt with during my 18 years of building/modifying Jeeps. The only other vendor in his class is Kilby. No one else's products come with as easy to follow instructions as theirs.

Both vendors products also fit without modifications other that what is described in the instructions.

Cal

·
Registered
333 Posts
All I can say is that Midic's skids and customer service is far and away better than any other vendor I have dealt with during my 18 years of building/modifying Jeeps. The only other vendor in his class is Kilby. No one else's products come with as easy to follow instructions as theirs.

Man I agree!!! He makes a great product and stands behind it 100%.. I just wish I had more money to buy his oil pan skid!!!! But I think the wife has said I have to wait till after christmas (dang kids and their santaclaus!!! :lol: ) Just kidding of course!!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
MY exhaust sometime will come into contact w/ the pass side UCA mount now that i have the skid on. it normally ONLY does it at very low idle, like when about to stall out and really boggin down.

I do plan on doing what PBR said. I had the skid off today to throw a flowmaster on, it looks liek it woudl be a VERY simple fix. Simply unbolt trans mount/ exhaust support bracket and then cut the extension piece w/ bushing off of the mounting plate, then loose and inch or so of the extension, and re-weld to mounting plate. SHoulda done it today when it was apart, but I was too lazy to drag out the welder.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry everyone that took offense to my response. I too am willing to do anything anytime to help a fellow jeeper. I have driven 3 hours to help install a lift for someone I never met, and crap like that. I appreciate everones input. I am going to try to play with the shifter a little when I get back. I dont have totches, I got a welder and a plazma cutter, but nothing to just heat up the brackets.. I will look at that too when I get back. Maybe an exhaust shop could look at it for me... I dont know. Like I said, when I get back I will get to work on it. Anyways, Thanks for the help. Medic has great CS, and his product is top notch. Not nocking him in anyway, but like i said, every jeep is different, and it isnt going AS smooth as I had hoped...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts