Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stuggle with this everytime I want to buy new tires; 50,000 mile treadwear warranty, that's hard to beat. I ran a set of these on my '98 TJ, put about 10,000 miles on them, then traded for a set of the MT's.

My question is anyone running the AT's on their Rubi? If so, how do you like them?

I tend to put a lot of Hwy miles on the Jeep because I like to drive it everyday. MT's wear so quickly, blah, blah, blah. My wallet says buy the AT's.

·
Registered
740 Posts
On my Xterra, I only used BFG AT's. Good road wear and decent off road use, it is a good tough tire. BUT there are situations where the MT's shine, like in the dry silty stuff we get in so cal. How do the AT's do in colorado in general?

Tough decision and I'd lean toward MT's for the rubicon if I were driving less than 12K a year. More than that and the ride might make ya start dreaming of those new Lexus's! :D

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ned said:
... BUT there are situations where the MT's shine, ... How do the AT's do in colorado in general?

Tough decision and I'd lean toward MT's for the rubicon if I were driving less than 12K a year. More than that and the ride might make ya start dreaming of those new Lexus's! :D
I was happy with the AT's when I had 'em and they did very well. I had them siped as well. The MT's sure give you a meaner look though. But for the money and tread life, that's what makes the AT's shine for me.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the votes, but after counting all the hanging chads, the AT's won.

Actually, I bought the 285/75R/16 BFG AT's. I went to SAM's Club, got prices, took the quote to Discount tire, they matched the price and included the road hazard warranty, took that quote to SEARS, they beat Discount's quote. Worked well for me.

So I've got 5 BFG AT's, they do have a 40,000 treadwear warranty and I'm happy :) .

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's acouple of shots with the 33's and a Budget Boost and extedned bump stops.

I may just run this way for a while and see how it works for me, I really don't want to lift it any further than I have to. And so far it is only rubbing the LCA's on full turn.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks, nice jeep! I might consider those after the MT/Rs wear down. Not as aggressive looking but more than capable for some trail riding. I had them on my 99 TJ and really liked them.

G

·
0 Posts
So, how much $$ did the set of 5 tires cost you? Were your MT/Rs worn badly when you replaced them? How many miles did you throw on the MT/Rs? I have a 70 mi. r/t commute each day, and I fear that the MT/Rs will only last until the spring... :?
-Ken

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ken cooke said:
So, how much $$ did the set of 5 tires cost you? Were your MT/Rs worn badly when you replaced them? How many miles did you throw on the MT/Rs? I have a 70 mi. r/t commute each day, and I fear that the MT/Rs will only last until the spring... :?
-Ken
Like I said I went shopping first and got a good quote from Sam's club and took it to other shops for them to beat, the best price then went to Sears, and they beat that price. Total out the door; mounted, lifetime balance, road hazard warranty and tax was $797

The MTR's still have plenty of tread left on them and will serve out the rest of their life on our XJ.

I suspect that the MTR's would probably last for about 35,000 miles before there is too little tread left to bite with offroad. Probably a good 45,000 miles if you just end up running them on the highway, I like more bite offroad.

G

·
0 Posts
One more question. I don't see mention of you running wheel spacers with your stock Rubi rims. 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility mentions that with stock jeep rims and 33" tires, the sidewall rubs on the rear spring buckets. Have you encountered this problem? If so, what was your remedy? Would a 1" wheel spacer solve that problem?

-Ken

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ken cooke said:
One more question. I don't see mention of you running wheel spacers with your stock Rubi rims. 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility mentions that with stock jeep rims and 33" tires, the sidewall rubs on the rear spring buckets. Have you encountered this problem? If so, what was your remedy? Would a 1" wheel spacer solve that problem?

-Ken
Not sure what tire 4wd&SU was talking about, I will assume that they are refering to a 305/70/16 it is wider than a 285/75/16.

With a 305/70/16 you would most likely have to go to a different backspaced wheel or if you use the Moab wheels you would need to put in some wheel spacers.

I had rubbing on the left spring perch on my '98 TJ with this same BB and 33" tires on the stock Gambler wheels.

With the 285/75/16's if have plenty of room on both sides, and no rubbing on either spring perch.

G

·
0 Posts
Is your turning radius the same as stock, or did you need to adjust your steering stops to accomodate the 285s? I am looking for a way to avoid having to replace my rims once I go bigger. Wheel spacers are expensive, and they place plenty of stress on the bearings. Thanks for all of the assistance.
-Ken

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did loose some of my turning radius, I have not adjusted anything though, like putting washers behind the turning stops, I can feel it when I start to touch the LCA's and just back off of the turn a little.

The 285's are wide enough for me, and they work well with the stock Moabs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts