Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I laid my windshield down to install a roll cage, my temperature readout on the mirror has been screwy. It seems correct at first but after a short period of time, it will read 25 degrees out when it is really in the 90s. It doesn't always go low, sometimes it is way high and sometimes it is accurate. Has anyone else experienced something like this or is there a TSB?

I won't bother going to the dealer since it doesn't happen immediately. I just know I will hear those words "problem could not be duplicated". However if there is a TSB, I just have to tell them the number.

Before I laid down the windsheild, it would creep up really high when crawling slowly on a really hot day. It might be 102 degrees out but the temp would climb to over 120 while crawling with the top off.

I did a search on "temperature" in all forums and the closest thing I found was http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=423&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 but it didn't answer my question.

Any help here would be tremendously appreciated!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Your temp sensor is right there by the radiator, so while you are crawling you will get a lot of engine heat transmitted via the radiator to the sensor. No airflow over it. Also with putting the windshield down it was noted by 4x4mac that his wiring was about 3 inchs short. There is the possibility that you damaged the wiring by stretching or you may have pinched it when you put the windshield back up, or you have unseated the connector under the dash cover.. You can easily check to see if you pinched it or unseated the connector by pulling up the center dash cover and taking a look.

Ron

·
Registered
843 Posts
I second that

Seems someone saved a few inches of wire and made it real short. Check by pulling the dash cover.

·
Registered
653 Posts
maybe a stupid question but did you switch it to celsus form ferinhite (sorry about the spelling). just a thought???

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I know I stretched it because I didn't disconnect it when I put it down but I did remove the wire from the clip which made it not streteched. It is definitely connected because I went back and checked that. However, could being pinched cause it to malfunction after some time has passed (normal driving not while crawling)?

It definitely isn't switched from celcius, but that was a good thought. I'll just have to see if it is pinched. I just don't see how any of this could cause it to fail after driving it for a while. It works fine at first! :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's pinched, eventually the coating could wear away. How fast depends on lots of things. You could be grounding one of the leads if the wire coating is cut.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts