Rubicon Owners Forum banner

781 - 800 of 822 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
wow! nice build up. I always loved the yellow.
Thanks man, looking back at what it was then it seems like an eye sore compared to now! Previous owners didnt take all that great care of her. But all is well now! Next on the list is front fenders (just got smittys rears), that new drive shaft and relocating the locker pumps once I find one! haha

·
Registered
55 Posts
BEFORE

[/URL][/IMG]

AFTER

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I have replaced the following:

35' BFG AT for 33' Toyo Mud.
Quadratec Edition ARB Front Bumper with 8k winch.
Hyline Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier.
Body Armor Steps/Skids.
JKS Sway Bar Disconnects.
Crown extended brake lines.
Carhartt Seat Covers.
Tom Woods Rear CV Drive Shaft.
Rubicon Rear Upper Adjustable Control Arms.
Rubicon Rear Trac Bar angle correction bracket.
Terraflex Shock Extension Brackets.
Sony Bluetooth Radio.
Rugged Ridge Black Gas Cap Cover.
Skid Row Engine & Transmission, radiator, steering gear box Skids.
MOPAR front differential Guard.
Four X Doctor rear diff Guard.
MCE Flexible Front & Rear Fenders.
ROKMEN Coil Spring Relocation Bracket.

Next purchase is Poison Spyder Hood Louver.

Update
[/IMG]

Hood Louver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
November 2013 I bought it with 100,000 on the clock and gave her a new life, I don't think it ever saw a speck of mud

How it sits today

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally wore out the MT/Rs and had to make a decision: Go with 31s or upgrade to 33s.

The 33s won out with a couple upgrades.

33-inch BFG KM2
Currie 4-inch lift and HD steering linkage
Front Antirock
Rancho RS9000XL shocks
Tom Woods rear driveshaft
Rock Hard rear bumper

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not long after I bought it with about 40,000 miles and a bunch of BS PO mods. I am second owner. I had already removed 1.25 wheel spacers and 35 inch MT Crusher tires:

Now three years later:

This:

Now this:

There have been extensive changes, some back to OEM, others to go to much higher quality/function components. It is night and day, my Jeep sits on a 4 inch lift and in most ways drives like stock, my goal is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Not done yet.

J

·
Registered
21 Posts
What was the aluminum tie rod and drag link - Teraflex?
Yes it was. It was just not a workable system for my Jeep. It had been installed, such as it was, by the PO. I had made a number of "corrections" but in the end it was just not suitable or safe. I think the parts can be used to advantage on a Jeep with a large lift or some type of custom rock crawler.

The TF system just requires to much on the site engineering. The Currie bolts right up. Well, it would bolt up for a stock Jeep, since my Jeep is not stock it was not a bolt on operation. I had to refabricate the fabricated custom axle side bracket for the track bar and the stabilizer.

I also have twice removed the TF Street and Trail Dual Rate anti-rock sway bar system and reworked it. Third time is a charm as this time I think I have it right. The bushings kept seizing on the outer torsion rods and freezing the front suspension. I machined both the bushings and the outer torsion rod slightly and It is working great now. I understand and appreciate the bad blood on this system but it is nonetheless a very expensive and very capable system when correctly set up. And easy to use with the driver side selection knob.

J

·
Administrator
10,998 Posts
Yes it was. It was just not a workable system for my Jeep. It had been installed, such as it was, by the PO. I had made a number of "corrections" but in the end it was just not suitable or safe. I think the parts can be used to advantage on a Jeep with a large lift or some type of custom rock crawler.

The TF system just requires to much on the site engineering. The Currie bolts right up. ..
The 4x4 shop I use in Montrose installed the Teraflex tie rod/drag link on a customer's TJ and I was asking some questions from the shop owner. Maybe I didn't quite get it, but I saw no advantage over my Currie setup, in fact the aluminum tie rod looks like it is more susceptible to damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 4x4 shop I use in Montrose installed the Teraflex tie rod/drag link on a customer's TJ and I was asking some questions from the shop owner. Maybe I didn't quite get it, but I saw no advantage over my Currie setup, in fact the aluminum tie rod looks like it is more susceptible to damage.
I do not get it either for most Jeeps. The aluminum rod supposedly will bend and then spring back. There are many problems with the concept, for example, the tie rod would hit the stabilizer lengthwise. The tie rod would also grind against the axle side bracket. The drop pitman, well, those have their issues as well. The steering was just very dead feeling. Tight, but dead. I never had any death wobble or anything like that. It was mostly the dead feeling and the binding up on itself that in the end had me remove it.

The Currie system, if going on a stock Jeep should be essentially bolt on, the TF system requires fabrication, relocation of the sway bar brackets, removing the stock sway bar brackets, modifying or replacing the axle side bracket and there really is no defined place to mount the steering stabilizer. As well, you have to install a completely new double passenger side steering knuckle. For the TF system minimum wheel BS is 3.75 or less.

J

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 2006 Rubicon finally got the makeover it deserved. After many hours of research on the ROF over the past year or so and several discussions with Dirk at DPG Off-Road the suspension, wheels and tires part of the build is complete.

DPG/OME Ultimate Kit which includes:
Old Man EMU Coils, OME Shocks, JKS Discos, JKS Body lift & MM spacers, JKS Adj. trackbars (F&R), JKS Rear Links, DPG Bumpstops (F&R)
OME HD Steering Stabilizer

(5) Procomp Steel Wheels
(5) 33 X 10.5 X 15 BFG KM2

As advertised, the Jeep drives and rides better than it was when stock. Its been two weeks since the install and final alignment. All is well.

The "after" pics are on an overcast day, almost looks like a B&W photo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Looks good, especially minus the chrome rock bars. :grin:

781 - 800 of 822 Posts