Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife Jane has had just a bit of trouble getting a leg up into Rubi once in a while, usually it's no problem but if I stop at the wrong place on the trail, the usual reasonably moderate ingress can be much more difficult. While in Moab with the FMCA 4-Wheelers, we ran Poison Spider with trail leader Bob, I noticed the step assist he made for his wife and asked Bob about it. He made it when his wife was having some kind of physical problem and they just kept it on-board since it was so handy and easily stowed.

This looked like a fun fab project so I got busy. I didn't have any flat bar that narrow so I used 2" x 3/16" bar and as an improvement on Bob's step, I used round solid bar and not tube for the step.

I used the acetylene torch to heat up the bend marks to almost white hot and very easily hand bent the bar into position using a coat hangar previously bent into position as a bend template. Surprisingly I got the bend mark wrong where the step contacts the round tube of the rock slider - the bend is outside of the tube. Oh well, this would be considered a prototype in any product development. Even though that bend is a little outboard of where I would like, it is 100% functional :) .

If I made another one of these steps, I would try 1"x 3/16" flat bar - that would save some weight and make it a little more portable, however the 2" bar makes for an extremely steady platform.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
excellent idea !!

:appl:

·
3,425 Posts
My wife just asked me the other day when I was going to get this project done for her ...

I guess I need to get off my butt and get started!!

Nice work John, you are setting the standard high. I'll think about the aluminum possibilities, but I think steel is the best solution here.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL - Laura wants her step, eh? You better deliver :cheesy: . (And make a ramp for Lilly the doggie.)

Hadn't thought about aluminum since I'm not set up to work with it, but I think an alloy would be strong enough (like 6061T6). Not sure how easy it would be to heat and bend an alloy, but you could always weld the hook part.

·
3,425 Posts
johncanfield said:
LOL - Laura wants her step, eh? You better deliver :cheesy: . (And make a ramp for Lilly the doggie.)

Hadn't thought about aluminum since I'm not set up to work with it, but I think an alloy would be strong enough (like 6061T6). Not sure how easy it would be to heat and bend an alloy, but you could always weld the hook part.

One potential problem welding aluminum is that the "T" value will change. A engineer friend of mine told me that welding T6 takes all of the heat treating properties out of it right away, but over time it will naturally go back to a T4.

I don't have a good setup currently to bend much, but I'll brainstorm the idea some to see if I can come up with a workable design.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Pretty slick idea and set up. My wife had the same issue so I got a foldable step stool, about 9" high. It folds flat when not in use so is easy to store.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mouse said:
..One potential problem welding aluminum is that the "T" value will change. A engineer friend of mine told me that welding T6 takes all of the heat treating properties out of it right away, but over time it will naturally go back to a T4...
Can't you heat treat the aluminum back to T6? Would T4 be too weak for this application?

BobsLJ said:
Pretty slick idea and set up. My wife had the same issue so I got a foldable step stool, about 9" high. It folds flat when not in use so is easy to store.
Thanks Bob. We had a little step stool that really didn't get much use, maybe this one will be a hit.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
hummm...

where the round stock is welded to the plate steel, you could always weld in another horizontal as a 2nd step location.

·
3,425 Posts
Can't you heat treat the aluminum back to T6? Would T4 be too weak for this application?[/quote]

Yes it could be re-heat treated to T6. Not sure a step is worth that effort though. I picked up some flat stock AL from Home Depot yesterday. I will try to weld it today. I have no idea what grade this stuff is.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I'm curious, why did you go all the way to the door opening? Could you not hook it on your rocker tube, and have a brace go under the rocker to prevent swinging? Some rare earth magnets would probably hold it in place while driving.

Either way I like it.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dippert said:
I'm curious, why did you go all the way to the door opening? ..
Basically I was just copying that element of the step design I modeled. There was another step I looked at where the guy drilled two holes in the slider and the step had two slugs that fit into the slider tube. I liked that idea but drilling and accurately aligning two holes in the slider seemed to be a little too much work and anyway I didn't like the idea of holes in the slider tube.

The step is working well and I'm going to make another version - I might look at hooking it over the tube and under the jamb. I'm intrigued with improving the design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great little idea. Here's the one I recently threw together. Mine hooks under the slider. Works well. The kids love it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys, check out the step slider from Rock-Slide Engineering. My wife saw their kit at the vendor show last March at EJS in Moab. She said if we need anything else for the Rubi, it's that kit, she is 5 feet tall and 74 years old and was tired of using the fold up step to get in the lifted jeep. I and a friend each bought the kit for our 05 Rubis, his wife is also short. They had the kits on sale at the vendor show. We bargained hard for a long time, finally getting each kit for $1,375.00, and they thru in the LED lighting kit for free. My friend runs an auctioneering business and knows how to work people on prices.

It works great and is also a heavy duty rock slider. It took around three hours to install the first side, put on, mark, pull and drill holes, and repeat. Had it off and on 5 times, took 45 minutes to do the second one, amazing how fast and easy after doing it the first time, and about 1/2 hour to wire it in. I highly recommened the kit, and your wife will love it. You can install a switch in the dash to disable it.
www.rockslideengineering.com
Ron

·
3,425 Posts
Wow - the Rockslide engineering piece is the Cadillac of steps!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did this mod for steps on my Rubi, now not as easily removed mine require removing 2 - 3/8" bolts. I started with CARR Steps and welded them to a flat steel plate. I then drilled 2 holes in each plate and then drilled and tapped the underside of my rock sliders. Now I just install the 2 bolts and done, when I don't want them on remove 2 bolts and there off w/o anything hanging down.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good idea! Since I mostly play in rocks, something like that would quickly get beat to snot. I can see where that would work very well when not rock-crawling though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts