• Automatic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8) 8) I am hoping to get as many responses as there are board members. Thanks!!!! 8) 8)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
AUTO....
luv it.
:D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual Love it. Then again I couldn't wait for the Auto, but I would have probably Loved that one. (I do love the Auto in my Grand).

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Slushbox for me.

Jerry

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wouldnt know what to do with my right hand if it was an auto.. Never had one..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm.... Wouldn't know what to do with the right hand. Sorry for you, but I could come up with a few things. Think Significant other.... :D :D

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything I read and hear from owners says AUTO. Is the manual winning because more people just "think" they are better? How many people have an open mind to the AUTO? I dont want to go with the manual, just because the majority votes for it. I want to go with it, only if it is actually better. With all these views of the post, I would hope to have some more inout. Thanks. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
FlaRubi18 said:
Everything I read and hear from owners says AUTO. Is the manual winning because more people just "think" they are better? How many people have an open mind to the AUTO? I dont want to go with the manual, just because the majority votes for it. I want to go with it, only if it is actually better. With all these views of the post, I would hope to have some more inout. Thanks. 8) 8) 8)
Is there really a right answer to this question.....I believe that the Auto or Manual preferance is like which suspension or which tires. I perfer the manual cause I feel like I have more control of my rig... Besides I find it fun to shift....I have driven a auto and it to was a good rig but I still like to shift... Maybe it was all my years driving transports.....

Buy what you want to buy not because someone or a group of people have one. Remember it is your rig......JMO

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was into the dealership yesterday and was talking to two of the mechanics that I know when the conversation came up about driving an auto and a manual. Initially it was about beginning to wheel a Jeep and which was better, but it rolled over to the new Auto's. The lead mechanic commented on how it was based off of the same auto in the caravan's and how much of a headache those are. He wasn't to confident on the new Auto's, but did admit that it was because they were brand new, and the jury was still out. He did like the way they were geared over the older ones, but said that he would chose the Manual because of it's track record so far.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm used to a manual so I don't mind the manual Rubi but with the Southern California traffic an auto sure would be nice. Then again, I like being able to downshift as necessary to accomodate for the mountains (and my fellow commuters' lack of driving skills).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think a manual transmission gives more control (hence, manual) and some people just plain like it that way. There's a lot to be said for the Auto on the trail- sometimes I need a third foot when I'm perched on a rock and I can't let the bake go and switch to the gas pedal fast enough (that's why they make hand throttles). So that's the only place I can see an automatic transmission as valuable on the trail.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had 6 jeeps but limited off road experience. The jeep I had before the Rubi was an auto. 2001 4.0/auto because my wife wanted to drive this one. It was great in traffic and off road. I went up to Mt Washington with it and was very unhappy with its performance when it came to braking. I got the 5 speed this time because I missed shifting and using the engine to slow down. Also on my last jeep, I got the 30 inch tire package with a dana
44/limited slip but with the auto it came with the dana 30. No one told me this and I was pissed. I had a lot of trouble with that rear end and one of he reasons I traded it in. Check on any changes that they make if you go with the Auto. Other than that the old tranny and engine combo was a pleasure on drive.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think that the 5 speed is the way to go for a few reasons.... you have more gear choices in low range... you have more control when in off camber positions, if you feel the "TIP" just press the clutch and you'll roll back... and it's more fun to drive 5 speed...

just my .02

·
Registered
420 Posts
plus there is less s#*t to co wrong with a 5 speed and most mechanically inclined people can work on them themselves.....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Manuals are gear on gear, they are harder too over heat, and can be run short distances slowly without oil. Auto's are clutch style, they are easy to over heat, they can't be run at all without oil and they are computer controlled. Up here in Canada we don't see many auto TJ's but I did see one at the Jeep Jamboree 2 yrs ago. After a good day of wheelin' he couldn't get third gear, only first or second. This condition is called "limp-in". The computer has detected a "problem" with the tranny and overrides all driver inputs!! On another somewhat related note i swamped the wifes Grand Cherokee got water in the trans oil, after flushing it three times the
tranny still piled up after only 500km (about 300 miles)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Risen from the dead! :lildevil:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I voted manual because that's what we have. I wanted an Auto, but it's the wifes driver and she wanted a 5spd.
I've wheeled both and I prefer the A/T off road. Although my XJ is a 5spd also.

Doug

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Auto......a requirement for me to purchase a Rubicon. (wife can't drive a stick and teaching her would probably result in divorce)

:wink:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I say get what you want. I voted 5spd because that's what I have and have always wanted in a Jeep so that's what I got. With the new 4 spd auto it is a lot better then the old 3 spd. My ex had a bad back and would loose feeling in her left leg every once in a while when it acted up, she got an auto. My rubi is my first 5spd I've owned and I love it.

As for not having anything to do with your right hand. Man I can think of plenty (and there are ways to still do some with a 5spd) You just have to get a little creative on how to shift :D :eek: I will say it's a little difficult to shift with someone asleep on your shoulder.

T

1 - 20 of 45 Posts