Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Install was on a 05 LJ. I won't cover much of what is in the instructions but I will cover some of the complications and issues.

1) The instructions aren't clear about how to tackle the body mounts AND the instructions online are different than their printed instructions. Thanks for that. I ended up I bolting the front body mount and all body mounts on whatever side of the jeep I was working on and loosened the rest. Then I jacked up the body, which sucks, and removed the three side mounts.

2) PS' online instructions say to cut 3/16" off the top of the mounts but the printed instructions didn't say to trim the bushings. Science told me that I had to trim the bushings so I did. This was easily accomplished with a hacksaw and a vice.

3) It is nearly impossible to jack up the body and slide the slider into position because on the LJ, the slider mounts to all three body mounts. On the driver side I put the jack under the driver seat tub and in the passenger side I built a wood stack between the muffler and frame rail. The passenger side sucks. There is a little room by the front mount, but the tub kept crushing on me.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473111134.288496.jpg

4) once the sliders were in place I lowered the tub and snugged the body bolts. I elected to drill all holes with the sliders on. Those countersunk bolts are not forgiving. I used a jack to hold the sliders close to the body.

5) The PS instructions claim that you need to drill a 1" hole to access the rear nut. NOT TRUE!!!! Stick your hand up inside the rear inner fender. It's tight, but I did it.

6) Remove sliders. This involves jacking up the tub. Again. Clean all surfaces and deburr.

7) if you have the gasket, silicon the tub.

8) Install sliders again. Yup, jack the tub up.

9) Slide I. Gasket. I used Allen wrenches to align it with the bolt holes.

10) Lower tub, bolt up. Tighten all body mounts.

Problems:

1. Their gasket sucks and is cut like crap.
See it in the Spyder?
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473111445.923207.jpg

See it sticking out?
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473111481.724035.jpg

2. The sliders aren't straight. Neither one. There are gaps and the tub has been pulled in order to snug up the sliders.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473111528.680055.jpg

3. There is no hole for frame mounted sport cages. WHY?!?!?

Nope, that's not the hole.
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473111588.199812.jpg

4. As standard, Poison Spyder's instructions suck!

But this is the finished product. They will serve their purpose.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1473111633.849602.jpg

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
Congratulations, they really look good and thanks for a detailed write-up.

I ran into a somewhat similar situation (as far as lousy instructions) with GenRight's inner aluminum fenders. They have good instructions for the outers and assume you are leaving the factory inners alone but zero instructions for the inners. I could not for the life of me figure out how to position the inners and if I should install the outer fender first and then the inner. I even called GenRight and the tech said to install the inners first which was wrong-wrong-wrong. Anyway I figured out the puzzle and even told Tony (GenRight owner) about the issue.

One reason why I went Rokmen for most of my build was their really well done YouTube 'how-to' videos. Everything I got from them was a perfect fit with beautiful TIG welds.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In hindsight I probably should have dropped the money and went Rokmen. At the time, I just didn't want to drop the extra cash on the sliders AND shipping. No regrets. The holes are drilled.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Wow, what a nightmare. My install of A to Z sliders was so uneventful I hardly remember doing it. Then again, they go around the body mounts.

In regards to #5 - I suspect that is a TJ thing. I do recall drilling a hole to access the rear nut during my installation. It was under the sheet metal bulge beneath the seatbelt mechanism.

Glad you got them bolted up! Now go scratch them :)

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
I was talking to the 4x4 shop owner here about Poison Spider's quality control and it appears since Larry sold out to the large conglomerate, the product has suffered some. They might be sourcing some of the products in China but I'm not sure. As far as armor and bumpers I like GenRight, Savvy and Rokmen (listed in no particular order.) I'm sure there are others producing a good product with American workers so that's not an all inclusive list.

At any rate, the sliders should do a good job for you.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
As you said, "they'll do the job". I had no problems installing mine and, for whatever it means, have had no problems with them.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I e-mailed Poison Spyder with my issues. They asked for pictures so that they could rectify the issue for future customers. They also offered 10% and free shipping on any future order. It isn't much, but it's nice that they reached back and offered me an opportunity to spend more money with them. ?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
I remember mine being a PITA to get into position because they take up the entire underside around the body mounts. I had to have someone install my Body Lift, MML and Tummy Tucker due to the sliders complicating things with the Body Lift, had to have some custom work completed with the 3 side Body Mounts on both sides. I think my GenRight sliders might be the superior product of the two however I am happy with the Poison Spyder product. I should also note I did not personally install the GenRight sliders on my rig. Getting a discount goes a long way to bringing someone back for repeat business later on down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not thrilled to hear all that. Body lift, motor mount, and tummy tuck are my next mod list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts