Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember when as a kid you clipped a ploaying card to your bike so it would hit the spokes as you rode your bike around the neighborhood?

Well, after doing the below mods, that is the sound I am getting from the front end. We have been all over the rig and can find no playing cards hitting spokes. I see no signs of wire tires, wires, anything at all hitting any rotating surface. Or something rotating hitting a fixed piece.

The noise starts at 8 MPH and continues until about 20 MPH. Forward or reverse. It seems to disappear above 20 but with the road/tire noise I just am not sure if I am hearing it or not. I have tried putting the rig in neutral and turning the engine off. No change. As the Rubi slows below 20 the noise becomes very noticable. That to me rules out the engine and transmission and really leaves the driveline and axle/wheel as the problem. Put the rig onto the lift and ran it with wheels off the ground, but could not duplicate the noise.

It just seems too coincidental that the noise was not there before the lift, larger tires, etc for there not to be some cause and effect.

Any ideas?

Bill

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
never heard that tick before...
only tick i hear is AC temp cycle on and off...annoying as it gets!

if you find your tick noise...plzzzzzzz let us know.

thanks
mac

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will. Though this is more a clackity clack noise vs the ac ticking noise inside rig.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Is your stock transmission skid on??? I think it comes off with the LA install right?

I only ask, becasue my front DS was hitting the mount tranny skid mount braket as the dang thing is right in the path of the front DS., I had to take it off completely, and I'll be darned if it did not sound a little like your describing. With your sway bar disconected, it looked like mine had been hitting stock even at flex.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 4.5 LA comes with a new skidplate. As far as I can tell there is no sign of touching.

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are still chasing this problem. Removed the front driveline and the noise disappears. Drove it in 2L, 4H, 4L and no noise. Checked the CV and joint with no sign of hitting or binding. No shiny spots at all. There is nothing even close to the driveline to be touching it.

Will reinstall the driveline tomorrow. I don't know, maybe the driveline is loading something on the axle or TC. So far we have not been able to duplicate it on the rack.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have one thing that happened to me but might not be your case.

I built my own front skid and lets just say everything was good till I went for the test drive and found that after getting the first hit on the skid there was a bump, thump etc... and finally found that the skid was hitting the oil pan. Just another idear. I won't go into anything else or for sure I'm gunna get some remark from someone. LOL :lol:

Mo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from the dealer. The Tech working on the rig thinks it is the Spider gears in the front diff. They have ordered a replacement and should be here on Tuesday. I was skeptical until he spun one of the front wheels with the diff cover off. You could hear the same sound coming from the diff. I could also hold the yoke and feel the gears go from smooth to soft. Running in gear they said the could stethescope the sound and there is no noise coming from the outers or the TC.

They are covering this under warrenty. :D DC thinks there may be a poorly machined gear that is causing the noise. We will see and will update the outcome.

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer replaced the carrier spider gear. Surprise, it did not fix the problem. So their next try is to replace the front drive shaft. Eventually they may get to the TC where we think the problem lies.

At this pace, that may have to wait since we leave for Moab a week from tomorrow.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
re

Hi guys, I don't know if you ever got to the bottom of this, but I had the same problem. A noise from the front when Jeep is rolling... even with the engine off the noise is there. 10/9/03 Took it to the dealer. Dealer said the seal on the font drive shaft develop a hard spot, rubbing where it meets the pumkin. dealer scraped off the hard spot and silicone the drivershaft seal. noise went away. 10/12/03 Noise came back. Dealer ordered a new shaft. 10/18/03 new shaft was put in. 11/8/03 I haven't heard the noise since. Warranty covered it. I hate noises and car problems.... can't wait till the front axle shaft goes bad. <-- sarcasm.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
It is the centering cup and ball in the CV joint of your front DS. It is becoming somewhat of a common issue with the stock shaft.

Today, I shipped my rear DS back to Tom Woods to have this exact thing fixed.

Check for play in the H looking part of the DS. It should not have any. You can make it generate that noise you are hearing by shaking it with your hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts