Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

trying to narrow down and eliminate various Rubi noises and i see that my front driveshaft has about 1/4" of play in it while stationary in 2WD and Park.

is this normal? TIA.

MH

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
ADD:/

i just checked the play while in 4LO and there is some, not much. enough to create a *clunk* though.

thoughts?
Mine does the same and so did my 2K..I would have to say that is normal.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mike Holmes said:
do/did you get a little clunk in it when you hit the gas in 4LO?
Yup...That is just play in the gears...It is normal...Just sound wierd..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn it, i've wasted a lot of time trying to find out where this front end noise has been coming from only to find out its normal! i have never had a 4x4 make this noise before so i was on the hunt for it. i thought i had found it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a bad "unloading" noise in the drivetrain that the dealer declared "normal". I had them check it BEFORE I did any mods or trail running just to be safe. It is very loud and basically occurs when you pull away and then throw in the clutch. the result is a scary clank clank that is supposedly drivetrain slop. My old 'cruiser had a couple of hundred thousand miles and didn't make this noise. As long as it holds together - that's what matters. This is a normal sound for TJ's with the NV 3550 yes?

G

·
0 Posts
At Camp Jeep, I asked the engineers, from the manufacturer of the T/C about this very thing, and was told, yes it is ok." It is a heavy duty unit, and the disc that locks etc...........will move some. It is nothing to worry about." I saw the demo cutaway they had in the tent, while he explained it, and it made sense. It really is a bad little bugger. Also, I asked on the chain drive strength, and he told me, it'll definately last the life of the Jeep. Pretty impressive.

Pick 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts