Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey John,
Nice work. You know, that kind of work, with a plasma cutter, was the primary reason my WIFE wanted me to get one. Really! We were in Moab for one of the Easter Jeep Safaris and, it was towards the end of the week and, all the vendors were in town and, at the arena. Well, Miller was there with all their welders and plasma cutters. The two reps were busy demoing their machines when the wife and I walked by.

One of them was using a plasma cutter making "yard art" type stuff. He'd done real well with many, many sculptures. Those really caught the wifes eye(s). She watched him produce another one. She said, "that doesn't look very hard at all". I'm thinking, hmmmmm, this might be the ultimate and infinitely perfect time to suggest WE THINK about purchasing one.

Well, we had a couple of friends with us so, we started talking a "two for" deal. Long story short, they backed out and, we purchased one. That plasma cutter has paid for itself dozens and dozens of times over. And I've not yet replaced any consumables on it. I know I need to.

But, that was approximately 5 years ago, and, I have yet to get the wife out there and try her talent at making some "yard art". We'll get there but, in the mean time, I surely scored on her seeing those yard arts being made.

But, anyways, good work and, keep the pictures coming.
Scott

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My plasma torch has made so many jobs on Rubi so much easier - wouldn't be without one. Freehanding with the torch to make signs or yard art is tougher than it looks (for me anyway) - it's really difficult to make a nice curve or straight line. I like to make Masonite templates if the project is for a customer or donation to a fund raiser..

·
Registered
153 Posts
My plasma torch has made so many jobs on Rubi so much easier - wouldn't be without one. Freehanding with the torch to make signs or yard art is tougher than it looks (for me anyway) - it's really difficult to make a nice curve or straight line. I like to make Masonite templates if the project is for a customer or donation to a fund raiser..
Could you enlighten me on this Masonite template? Would it work with a torch like it does for a plasma? Even more elementary... What is it, and how is it easier to create the template than to just work with the cutter? I love your sharing of knowledge on many subjects! Thanks for your work and dedication!

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No, don't think it would be as easy to use an acetylene torch with a Masonite template since you are heating up the base metal quite a bit more than with plasma. There are track acetylene torches which use a mechanism to auto feed for cutting straight lines but that's about it. (It would be fairly easy to make a circle cutting jig for an OA torch BTW.)

The beauty of a template is they are fairly quick to make and I can reuse them, I think I've made about six of the cats for donations and on commission.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
There are track acetylene torches which use a mechanism to auto feed for cutting straight lines but that's about it. (It would be fairly easy to make a circle cutting jig for an OA torch
When I worked on Natural Gas pipeline we had a OA tool to cut pipe
24" gas pipe was the largest I personally got to cut
It would cut and bevel at the same time

:wink2:

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Yup, we're homebound this summer. The Doc wants me to have radiation therapy since I'm high risk for cancer spreading in a couple of years (I have prostate cancer and had my prostate removed March 2.) I'll probably be in Houston (MD Anderson) for a couple of months starting hopefully next month (yuck.) We'll take the motorhome there - the RV park runs a shuttle to the MDA campus.

Don - I have a very difficult time trying to free hand while following a line so I make Masonite templates. Then I can easily duplicate any of the figures.
John,
Haven't been on the forum in awhile and just saw this post from you. Wishing you the best pal, from a survivor here. 9 years clean, knock on wood. Had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma in my neck, abdomen and upper lung areas. I know what you mean when you talk about chemo and radiation. I hope you are doing OK and everything has gone well.

Reactions: johncanfield
21 - 28 of 28 Posts