Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had another request for the cat (I shamelessly copied another artist's work :)) and got it almost completed today. I think I've made about four or five of these so far. Had a request quite a while ago for a mule so I cut that out this afternoon (the first two tries were throwaways), need to clean it up with some grinding on the edges and a flap disc on the rest of it. Then I'll make a wood base out of either mahogany or cherry.

The cat takes me about six hours since I'm very anal about the final result and I usually charge about $35. What I've discovered is a price barrier of about $35 for discretionary spending for something that's completely impractical (i.e., art.)

I'm going to make another run at whirlygigs - the first few I made would not hold up to our winds here so there will be a significant upgrade for the next batch. One of my goals is to make a Jeep whirlygig - hopefully I can make that happen early 2016.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
You are truly a multi-talented person, John.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
What's up John? Usually this time of year we're seeing pics of your trips to CO instead of you tinkering around the shop?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
That's cool!

·
3,492 Posts
Looks like a fine touch to make those - awesome!

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's up John? Usually this time of year we're seeing pics of your trips to CO instead of you tinkering around the shop?
Yup, we're homebound this summer. The Doc wants me to have radiation therapy since I'm high risk for cancer spreading in a couple of years (I have prostate cancer and had my prostate removed March 2.) I'll probably be in Houston (MD Anderson) for a couple of months starting hopefully next month (yuck.) We'll take the motorhome there - the RV park runs a shuttle to the MDA campus.

Looks like a fine touch to make those - awesome!
Don - I have a very difficult time trying to free hand while following a line so I make Masonite templates. Then I can easily duplicate any of the figures.

·
3,492 Posts
Heal quickly my friend. Prayers for recovery.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Firstly, wow, awesome work! I couldn't imagine tackling something like that. Then again, I can't even draw stick figures.

Secondly, prayers sent for your treatment and recovery. You've been a Godsend to us all!

Doug

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey - thanks guys! Y'all are some good friends.

I'm having a great time in my shop and I stay busy-busy-busy between the shop and the ranch chores. The mule is almost completed, it took two flap discs to get rid of the mill scale on one side and rust on the other :rolleyes:. I made a base out of some scrap cherry I had and welded a 3/16" x 1" pin to two legs and drilled a couple of holes in the base. It looks good (if I do say so myself) and it will look much better when I stain and varnish the base.

I don't think I put up a picture of the longhorn I made last winter for our local library's annual fundraiser. This one sort of evolved when I screwed up the longhorn's foot so I thought a cool way to hide my error was to cut another piece and make it grassy looking and place in front. It turned out pretty good also.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Best of luck with your medical woes, John.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
John...our thoughts and Prayers will be with you and Jane on your trip
to MD Anderson

The Longhorn looks badazzzzzzzz !!
;)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Hey John,

looking forward to seeing more of this stuff. I like the Longhorn a lot.

Wish you all the best for your treatment and recovery.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Nice work!!! And Good Luck on your medical issues.

·
Administrator
10,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! Doing pretty good but I have to have radiation therapy starting early November (ugh.)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts