Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal

:?: I am a POOOOOOOR college student and do not have the cash flow to buy a lift kit all at once. So what I am looking to do is get a lift piece by piece and get the best posible lift I can for the cash of course.

So what I am looking ofr from you guys and the gals out there tooo is what is the best possible parts to get

Basiclly, Which spring, shocks, arm, etc.... should I be looking ot get and can I get independantlly.

I am looking ot get a 3.5 - 4.5 lift and run 33's on my RUBI

HELP!!!!!!!!!

:?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Poor college student with a Rubi??? Kind of a contradiction in terms eh? :p

Just kdding I've become much poorer since I bought my Rubi too...

I have read that the cheapest way to fit 33 would be to go with 2" spring spacers ($60) and a 1" Body Lift (around $100). Or you could just get a Rubicon Express (RE) Budget Boost (BB) lift under $200, you can run 33 with either.

You could have the basic lift and put on 33s and save up for a more advanced lift later. You can pretty much bit and piece a nice RE kit or buy an RE 3.5" Superflex out right. I'm a big fan of RE and I haven't found anyone who has anything bad to say about them.

I've found the best deals at http://www.4x4groupbuy.com just email or talk to Jason and he'll get you a great deal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not exactolly what I ment....

I do not really want to just put speing spacers on there. I want to get a full lift I just do not want ot buy it all at once...

I have hurd time and time again that RE springs are the way to go so I think i am going ot get the 3.5" springs from them but i have als ohurd that their shocks run very hard (ruff ride) so I beleive that I am going to get the OME shocks becasue I have hurd that they are the best all around shocks on and off road. Just wondering if getting the rest of everything would be cheaper to get the full RE kit (superfelx) or if I cna piece it out ot get better proformance or equal proformance and better price from other companies?

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Your cheapest route will probably be Teraflex. You can piece together a lift but you will need about $600 for the lift alone. That should get you up high enough to run 33" tires.

If you want to do things right here is a STRONG SUGGESTION:

Now if you can't spend that then I suggest going with a adjustable coil space lift (like Fabtechs or arocs) and a 1" BL. Later you can invest in a nice kit (like when you graduate). Doing this you will be able to run 33" tires. Also you could start slowly but surely adding skids (like a Nth Degree Tummy Tuck, adds 2.5 inches on your belly, and a kilby skid which adds 1" in the back (which for both the 1" BL will come in handy)). You will also need rear upper adjustable control arms for the TT so you could go with something like Rubicon express and then start adding their lower control arms. This is all expensive but in my opinion you need to keep you center of gravity low while maximizing clearance under your jeep. Be smart how you lift, and you can build a very capable rig for $200 here $400 there.

My suggestion on lifting would be this order:

-1" Teraflex BL $140
-2.5" Fabtech Billet Alluminum Adjustable Coil spacers and shocks $400 (I will admit this is pricy but a good way to lift none the less) Another option here would be AROCS in the front and coil spacers in the rear and a set of shocks, but this may end up costing about the same.
-Kilby Gas Skid $240
-Tummy Tucker 1.25 drop $450
-Need to do the rear upper control arms at the same time as the TT, possibly RE $200, again this is getting expensive but all this is over time, right?
-Possibly a CV driveshaft $250-300

Now I know this sounds expensive but this is layed out perfectly for you and will leave you in a good position to start piecing together more of a lift later down the road. You will be able to run 33" tires and wheels of choice and have the option to go larger when you finally start your coils and control arm lift. A good lift kit is going to run you around 2 grand and thats not including tires and wheels. What I have explained above will leave you with nice clearance and an AWESOME COG. If you want to do things right this would be the way, and of course don't let me make all the decisions for ya. :mrgreen: Goodluck and hope this helps alittle, got any questions or disagreements let me know. Brian

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Piecing is rough... The problem is, that in the end, it costs so much more money than if you had just bought a kit in the first place...

I mill'd over this 1000 times, before I just went ahead and ordered the 4.5" SF SA kit with some extras. I mean, I am still a little hosed if and when I go long arm, but at least I have an extremely capable trail setup, with reasonable road manners.

I do agree the SF kit is probably the way to go, for an initial purchase.
The standard kit just doesn't come with enough goodies, to make it even close to cost effective.

If your really going to piece together a kit, just look at what comes in the RE LA Extreme Duty kits, and start buy'n what you think is best piece by piece from various manufactures, until you have all the pieces. Or even some great extra's when your ready to install.

But, a one time, RE 3.5" SF SA is probably your best ecconomic start to this process. I did all the same research on what to buy, piecing together stuff from different manufactures, and came to the conclusion the full purchase of the RE 4.5" SF SA with an added drop pittman, rear track bar and braket for CV style DS, and OME shocks, was the absolute most ecconomical way for me to get 5.5" Technical but it sits over 6" of suspension lift as I sub'd the coils with the 3.5" Kit coils and kept my 2" BB poly coils spacers in there. I mean, piecing -vs- buy'n the kit as I did, would have been like $1500 more, and still no long arms...

Mesa 4x4 has the RE 4.5" SF SA kit for like $950 by the way. Jay is top notch and will go the way extra mile to make sure that after install your vehicle meets or exceeds your expectations for the least possible amount of money.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAMN,

Thanks guys that info is exactolly what I was looking for.....

Now it is just time to call lots of people and start saving my pennies....

THANKS

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep as posted on what you decide to buy/order.. Inquire'n minds want to know... :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
i got front 4.5 RE springs and rear lower control arms non adjustable. used, if your interested?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I too am poor. ANd this is what I have done:

1) Threw on the BB and BL and new shocks for $200 just to differentiate from the mall Wranglers in the area.

2) Shopped and shopped for the best prices on a complete lift. Got the 3" Tera for a great price and shot pretty much all my savings.

3) Since then I am slowly getting all the "extras" that will be needed such as arms, DS, tires, ect. Also I have been beefing up the protection factor as I go with diff skid, oil pan and a belly up and even some lights.

4) I have a long way to go before I have purchased everything and am ready to throw it all on, but when I finally do It will be a whole new Jeep and DONE RIGHT the first time.

If you are looking for instant gratification I suggest the BB and BL now and save as you go and get all you need for the Jeep of your design/dreams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts