Rubicon Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Administrator
10,917 Posts
Is this just jeep related or anything?
I think the original idea is to keep it Jeep related and that certainly makes sense. I'll leave your pix here (they are interesting) for now but in the future please post those in the Off-topic section.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dunno if I posted these anywhere around as I'm rarely on the forum, but here are a couple with our camper setup:

It is SOOOOOOOO nice to come back from a day of trail riding to get to take a shower, have a cold beer, and cook a proper meal.

All I did to the JK was to wire it for trailer brakes (OEM kit and Tekonsha P3 controller) and add air bags in the back (15 minutes to install) in addition to the 2" springs I put in a long time ago. The airbags made a HUGE difference, and the camper max GVWR is the same of the Jeep, so it really is a nice setup.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
nice setup! how does the rubi tow/stop in the mountains?

what make/model is the bike? do you like it?

·
Registered
618 Posts
It took a few years to figure out the perfect set up for us. Finally ended with the featherlite toy hauler. LJ is inside and happy not to be flat towed and we still have full access to the sleeping quarters. The Lance camper was nice, but the Cargo Express/Look trailer was junk and only lasted one trip--long story.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
nice setup! how does the rubi tow/stop in the mountains?

what make/model is the bike? do you like it?
Perfect. I have the 6 speed, so it makes most things easy. I've actually towed the camper with a full water load and the bike (with a gas can) up and over Sonora Pass. I needed first gear on the 26% incline part, but it did pretty well all things considered. I got the brakes a little hot on the way down, but nothing to get too scared about- despite the Jeep being rated to be able to tow what the GVWR of the camper sans trailer brakes, they make a world of difference and there is no way I'd tow any weight for any distance without them.

The bike is an '05 KTM 450 EXC and just as cool as the Jeep. Aside from just getting a concussion and a mildly separated shoulder from binning it in the Sierra last weekend, I've totally drank the orange cool aid.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I wanted a Corvette, but decided to replace my nine year old DD/tow rig instead. Here is the new one. Still want a Vette though. :)

·
3,491 Posts
Nice looking truck Steve!

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
That's an awesome way to celebrate the new year - Denali HD. With a Duramax I would imagine?

I can tell it's a 2015.5 (some people on forums call it that, or a 2015i for "intermediate" model year change) since it has the new style tow mirrors

If something caused me to buy a new truck, it would probably be a GMC rather than a Chevy - the Chevy grille and headlights on the 2015s don't quite appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Nice looking truck Steve!
Yeah buddy - wow!
Thanks!

That's an awesome way to celebrate the new year - Denali HD. With a Duramax I would imagine?

I can tell it's a 2015.5 (some people on forums call it that, or a 2015i for "intermediate" model year change) since it has the new style tow mirrors

If something caused me to buy a new truck, it would probably be a GMC rather than a Chevy - the Chevy grille and headlights on the 2015s don't quite appeal to me.
It is a 2015i/2015.5 with Duramax. I really wanted the new power fold towing mirrors that come on the 2015.5. I had considered going gas, but knew that I would be disappointed the first time I towed.

I've never gone GMC before, but I wasn't a fan of the big chrome piece along the hood of the Chevy. It just doesn't look good. I was able to buy the Denali out of state for the same or better price as an LTZ from a local dealership.

If anyone ever wants a GMC, I can tell you were to go. They sell at or near employee pricing. No hassle.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Thanks!
It is a 2015i/2015.5 with Duramax. I really wanted the new power fold towing mirrors that come on the 2015.5. I had considered going gas, but knew that I would be disappointed the first time I towed.
The Duramax won't disappoint you. The 6.0 / 6.2 gasser is a decent engine, but the torque of the diesel is what makes towing an effortless job.

I love both of mine, and the 06 is hitting the road again tomorrow. I can literally set the cruise control once I hit the top of the hill outside of Spokane, and run cruise control all the way to the Columbia River where I have to slow down for a curve, then once I get back up to speed, I can set the cruise again and run it all the way to Easton, then the road construction slows me down.

Once you tow with a diesel, there's no going back to gas. I always get a chuckle about people on the RV forums getting in to a big debate about diesel or gas. They bury their head in a bunch of mathematical details trying to see if owning a diesel truck makes sense for them financially. The way I look at it, if someone has to go in to a big math formula to try and "see if it pencils out" they should just buy a gasser.

I don't care that a diesel truck costs more to maintain - I enjoy the less stressful drive towing with one verses a gas truck. My 06 gets better empty fuel economy than my JK ever got.

The only added costs for normal maintenance are fuel filter changes, which I do about every 10k miles or so, 10 qts of oil instead of 6, and the Allison spin-on trans filter which I change every other engine oil change.

I buy the Allison filters from various online sources, usually at least 3 at a time. There's a fuel filter access door that replaces a piece of the inner fender liner, so it makes access to the fuel filter much easier. I will research it and find the info on the 2015 HDs.

I agree about the chrome on the Chevy - there's just far too much horizontal chrome on the grille.

Oh, and since I have a thing for LEDs, I love the LED DRLs on the Sierras!

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
The Duramax won't disappoint you. The 6.0 / 6.2 gasser is a decent engine, but the torque of the diesel is what makes towing an effortless job.

I love both of mine, and the 06 is hitting the road again tomorrow. I can literally set the cruise control once I hit the top of the hill outside of Spokane, and run cruise control all the way to the Columbia River where I have to slow down for a curve, then once I get back up to speed, I can set the cruise again and run it all the way to Easton, then the road construction slows me down.

Once you tow with a diesel, there's no going back to gas. I always get a chuckle about people on the RV forums getting in to a big debate about diesel or gas. They bury their head in a bunch of mathematical details trying to see if owning a diesel truck makes sense for them financially. The way I look at it, if someone has to go in to a big math formula to try and "see if it pencils out" they should just buy a gasser.

I don't care that a diesel truck costs more to maintain - I enjoy the less stressful drive towing with one verses a gas truck. My 06 gets better empty fuel economy than my JK ever got.

The only added costs for normal maintenance are fuel filter changes, which I do about every 10k miles or so, 10 qts of oil instead of 6, and the Allison spin-on trans filter which I change every other engine oil change.

I buy the Allison filters from various online sources, usually at least 3 at a time. There's a fuel filter access door that replaces a piece of the inner fender liner, so it makes access to the fuel filter much easier. I will research it and find the info on the 2015 HDs.

I agree about the chrome on the Chevy - there's just far too much horizontal chrome on the grille.

Oh, and since I have a thing for LEDs, I love the LED DRLs on the Sierras!
I also love the LEDs!

This is my third Duramax. I've had an LB7, LBZ, and now the LML. I made the mistake once thinking I would be happy with a gas tow rig and was disappointed when towing. There was once exception to that though. I miss my 8.1L 2500 Suburban. That was a beast. 10 mpg towing or empty. :laugh:

101 - 120 of 145 Posts