Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm almost done the first step of my Rubi's buildup, which basicaly means it is "ready to wheel" for the trails I drive.
What do you think, do you see anything important I've missed, and any thoughts on what to do next.

Lift - 2" Pro Comp springs, 1" body lift, home made quick discos for front, no rear sway bar.
Wheels - 15x8 AR767 with 4.75" backspacing. Center caps trimmed to the same length as the wheel lugs.
Tires - BFG 33x10.5 (siped)

Armor:
Turbo City side bars
Turbo City rad guard
Mopar gas tank skid (would have done Kilby if buying new)
Mopar steering box skid
Rusty's engine skid majorly modified to work with stock tranny skid
Dif guard made from dodge truck D44 cover.

Custom Jeeperman bumper with Warn 8274 winch
Custom rear bumper with tire carrier coming soon (I hope)

Toys By Troy roll cage upgrade

CB, Fire extinguisher, 1st aid, etc.

Stock fog lights
Pro-comp 130 watt lights
Rock lights coming soon

Lap belt added to driver's seat

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Looks good. How does it handle on road without a rear swaybar? Is the Ruby unstable off-road when in off-camber situations? I realize the rear swaybar is pretty small, but I am still leary about removing it completely, so any information would be appreciated. Have a great day!

Ken

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whether you need the sway bar in the rear and how it handles off road without the front depends on your spring and shock choice and the amount of lift you have. On my Rubi I have springs and shocks that are quite stiff, so I don't even notice that the rear sway bar is gone. I don't even miss the front if I don't reconnect it for driving around town, but I would never drive at highway speed without it.
My old TJ, on the other hand, had softer springs and much softer shocks so on off camber hill climbs where a lot of the weight was on one back corner it would tend to squat to that corner. Having the rear sway bar on would have reduced that effect and made it more stable, but I chose to deal with that quirk to get more flex.

With bigger lifts and huge tires the high center of gravity means using sway bars is a good thing, but as you go to larger tires the extra weight can better overcome the effect of the sway bar so you don't tend to loose as much wheel travel as with a near-stock rig.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Mud Puppy:

Nice Jeep. If it's ready for the wheelin' you do, then I'd suggest the following for Phase 2:

-LCA guards
-Adjustable CAs (for strength as opposed to needing them for suspension geometry)
-Onboard air

The first 2 are just more armor. The last is just a good thing to have. :D

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts