Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LJU Auto, no crank no start, checked all fuses and relays 3 times, good fully charged battery, jumper wire to stater solenoid it will crank but not run, disconnected battery and pcm plugs othing, scan tool will not link to pcm and dash code reader doesn't work but dash check does, key on dash lights but no gauage movement, I have changed ignition switch and actuator pin, miss anything? Moving to a PCM replacement. Thinking of WranglerFixany suggestions?

·
Registered
575 Posts
PCM could be done or it could be a host of other problems.
Any of the 5 volt feeds when shorted to ground will lock up a PCM. Try and disconnecting all your sensors and actuators to see if your communication with the scanner comes back.
Then you really need to disconnect the pcm and make sure you have both power and grounds supplied to the pcm.

·
1,645 Posts
I had some definite issues on my 2004 that led to my PCM being fried in certain components. It eventually got over my head and I went to a good Jeep mechanic. Even he was scratching his head and finally substituted my PCM with one he had laying around. Everything worked fine with the replacement, but my Jeep would shut off because it didn’t match my VIN. At least we discovered the issue was definitely the PCM.

You could buy a PCM from WranglerFix. I’ve talked to the owner. He actually cares. My fear is that IF it is your PCM, that something caused it to fail and that same something will cause the replacement to fail. I‘m almost positive that would be covered by a warranty. It’s one of those things you may just have to take a chance on. I myself would tell WranglerFix what you told us and see what he says. Even if your TJ was totally healthy, I would buy a PCM to have on hand.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I will monitor this thread. I have the same four O2 sensor codes described in the second review on the WranglerFix website.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had a failed PCM, all O2 sensors had codes, 2005 TJ Rubicon, thread here on ROF. The PCM fail was confirmed "toast" by a local shop that did a scan. That would be my recommendation, shop visit and scan to cut to the chase.

·
Administrator
11,060 Posts
Bill (svtotem) had the dealer look at his and I think they are calling it a bad PCM as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A lot of good feedback for WranglerFix here:

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Yes, after I replaced all four sensors and checked everything I could I took it to the dealer to to put through the fault analysis. They confirmed the PCM was the issue. Runs fine. For now.

Will investigate WranglerFix.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Thanks for the link tiger-Bailey. I had already seen the video, and it is thorough. The Wrangler Forum thread quickly devolved and doesn’t have much of value. Reminds me of how lucky we are here at ROF.

If I go this route I will post a thread with follow up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did buy a new PCM from Mark at WranglerFix with no results. Scanner not linkup to check for any codes.Very disappointing and Jeep trip next week.............

·
Registered
575 Posts
So something is locking it up (bad sensor) or you don't have proper power and grounds. Do you have a automatic? If so disco the connectors to it and try a scan.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I did buy a new PCM from Mark at WranglerFix with no results. Scanner not linkup to check for any codes.Very disappointing and Jeep trip next week.............
My PCM replacement history posted on ROF describes a struggle to get my Rubicon back in acton. First got a replacement PCM from New Jersey that was not flashed as promised. The dealer couldn't flash it either. Sent it back and the company sent the PCM back to me and said it was OK but still is wasn't programed!

The the PCM company wouldn't give me a refund until I proved it wouldn't work. The company was very friendly until I had a problem then no one wanted to talk to me!!! I was livid to say the least:(

Finally the Jeep dealer got a PCM and got the Jeep back on the road. Not without other issues and $2500 or more invested.

So my recommendation is if the dealer can get you the PCM they then are on the hook to get you out the door with a working Jeep. So that's my recommendation, save your sanity and take it to the dealer and let them find a PCM and get your Jeep back in action. Sure it will cost but for me it was worth it.

Onion Creek Camp Ground along the Colorado River East of Moab Ut. Loved my TJ but it was too small for long distance overlanding and sold it to my neighbor and still can see it but now have a JKUR for overlanding. But sure mis my TJ.

·
1,645 Posts
The dealer near me did not even offer a 2004 PCM when I was looking for one. The TJ PCM is too much trouble for most parts places to keep on hand. My year alone had two PCM part numbers that would work. Every year seemed to tweak the PCM to new part numbers. It's just too much trouble for places to keep all the variations on hand. Jeep quite frankly left us hanging. My woes are also on here. First I went through a PCM puppy mill. The owner of WranglerFix told me how they were a phone bank and farmed out their work. The PCM company did not disclose this to me. When I was consulting WranglerFix, I was consulting a Jeep mechanic at the same time because bird dogging the issues got over my head. My mechanic got so frustrated he began looking for a PCM himself. He finally got one that has been working great. I don't know where he got it.

Here's my trail....
My original - sent for repair to a large PCM company and under warranty sent back three times. Each time it was repaired somewhat, but not enough. I ditched them. They never balked on the warranty.
My mechanic got one without authorization from me. It failed, but he fought hard for the warranty. The replacement has been perfect.

·
3,563 Posts
The PCM issue alone is enough to drive someone to LS swap a TJ. With Bob's cost for a replacement PCM, the swap doesn't look so bad. The good thing is that there were a lot of the 03-06 TJs built and the junkyards are getting many of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts