Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added another Rubicon to the garage a while back (I still have my ‘04) new one is 2006 LJ with 56k original(but hard) miles.

If the Jeep sits for 3 days, the battery drains enough that it won’t start. Oddly enough, when you open the door to get in, the speedo and tach start bouncing all over the place immediately. If I charge the battery back up, the speedo and Tach do not bounce when the door is opened. It is apparent there is some sort of parasitic draw On the battery. I just don’t really know where or how to start searching.

note - I did remove an aftermarket amplifier and replaced the radio (factory connections on the radio). Also removed aftermarket fog lights that previous owner had plugged into the factory fog light wires. Those wires are crushed by a winch plate the previous owner installed.

I would appreciate some guidance/suggestions.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Before you get too carried away is your battery good? Swap the batteries in your Jeeps and try it. A battery on the way out will loose its charge sitting. It can have good volts but no reserve that's why carbon pile load testers are still used.

·
Administrator
10,787 Posts
Put an ammeter on your battery and see what current is being drawn (don't turn anything on! as most ammeters measure milliamps)... Remove one fuse at a time until you see a significant loss, there's your current draw
Guy beat me to it - that's exactly what I was going to recommend.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,002 Posts
funny, running into the same issue with my 06 LJ rubi where I also pulled an amp.

Reactions: Mouse
1 - 5 of 5 Posts