Rubicon Owners Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
If I remember correctly the connector wont pull up enough to disengage, so we had to put a jack under the cross member and lower the back of the transmission. Watch for other wiring especially the o2 sensor wiring.

Quick learn needs to be done with a scan tool.
Replacing a oss/iss should not change shift parameters. Shift parameters will learn with regular driving. Unless you have done a internal repair I would not worry about that.

Your fluid level is good right? Some fluids are susceptible to foaming. When your tans is really hot check to see if there is any foam or bubbles on the dipstick.

Thank you super helpful. Im using atf4 from oreillys
Only 3k old. I did take out about half a quart cause I thought it was a little high after this code p0841 came on. No internal repair.

The line pressure sensor is different from the solenoid pressure switch sensor. Both on passenger side i think but I havent been able to see or feel the line pressure sensor switch yet.

Reading about the p0841 makes me think its the line pressure not the solenoid pressure sensor in play. Would be happy to replace the line pressure sensor at 103k just to see if i could find whwre it is. But I m not sure if the line pressure sensor is under the pan or external to the tranny like the oss or iss. Then try the solenoid pressure sensor.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You don't have a line pressure sensor, not a external one anyway. All the sense and solenoid controls are done in the solenoid pack assembly which is bolted to the valve body. That is what the 10 way connector on the right side connects to.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Any more its difficult to find shops that you can trust. If you have the time and space, I'd try to tackle it myself

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
The 42RLE auto tranny was used in many different models, it's not Jeep-specific. Maybe you can find a replacement somewhere. If you find one from a minivan you will have to move the case extension from yours to the rear of the replacement transmission. I had to remove that extension to install the Advance Adapter RubiCrawler in its place. I made a spud shaft removal fixture to pull the spud shaft - I can lend it to you if you go that route.

Having said all of that - I'm assuming (dangerous thing to do) the TJ/LJ PCM will be happy with a 42RLE from a different model vehicle.

·
Registered
924 Posts
A minivan transmission has a different housing to fit the differential. The internals may be the same but there were so many upgrades during the years that I would not mix and match.
The solenoid pack isn't a big deal but if you are not comfortable with it it isn't a big repair to have to pay for. Maybe a couple hours.

·
Administrator
12,079 Posts
I wonder if the rear housing from the minivan and the Jeep can be swapped? Or are you saying the bolt pattern at the rear of the tranny body itself is different? I was always under the assumption (I know - ass-umption ;)) they were swappable using the Jeep extension housing.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The case casting itself is different. The minivan case has the differential support cast in for the front drive application. Where a jeep tailshaft would be is a set of transfer gears to redirect power. The minivan is a east/west rather than North /south. Configuration. I think that liberty and nitro were the only other models that used the 42rle.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts