Rubicon Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shouldn't be that difficult. Try looking around the exhaust and firewall area for the harness. Wherever the plastic split loom is falling apart. If it is rubbing there, you could pull it back and put some electrical tape on it to keep the wires apart and off of the transmission or block as a temporary fix until you can repair it properly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Another test from my friend. Disconnect harness and connector. One side Voltmeter connected to oss connector sensor pin (not ground). Other side voltmeter connected to negative battery post. Should be infinite resistance if not you have a short to ground (the frame) on that wire.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another test from my friend. Disconnect harness and connector. One side Voltmeter connected to oss connector sensor pin (not ground). Other side voltmeter connected to negative battery post. Should be infinite resistance if not you have a short to ground (the frame) on that wire.
This may or may not work. If the harness is moved around and not in it's normal resting position, the short may not show itself. You need to physically inspect the harness for bare or chafed wires.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This may or may not work. If the harness is moved around and not in it's normal resting position, the short may not show itself. You need to physically inspect the harness for bare or chafed wires.

Just my opinion.
Understand we did try and do that as well. Feel around and move the harness while doing test as well. The code comes back within 3-15 miles so I feel like if its the wiring it's sitting like that all the time. New sensor just arrived. Installed about to test

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
After about 100 miles in the mountains this weekend not very rough terrain and 100 miles before (200 total) with new oss and iss p0720 is back on the way down the mtn. Was stuck behind a rancher for a bit going very slow and tranny was pretty warm going up hill when it came back. Confused. Still shifting ok so far.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Have you tried tightening up your oss terminals. You should be able to remove the lock and crimp the terminal a little tighter.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Back when these were still fairly new they would trigger solenoid codes. Sometimes it was internal but a lot of times it was water intrusion into the main transmission plug on the top passenger side of the transmission. I think it is a 10 way connector and you used to be able to order a new one if it was corroded. You did say that you were in water.

If memory serves me correct they were a PITA to deal with.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The Latest hunch is that I may need to relearn the tcm after the swap of the oss and the iss. Does anyone here know the quicklearn procedure for TJ 2005? I could take to the stealership for the quick learn? Im finding some different car models from jeep around the same time suggest disconnecting the battery and touching cables and turning on lights. To completely drain the charge from the pcm but dont have a legit source yet. It makes sense to me that the oss and iss change could throw off the previous learned voltage for transmission pressure solenoid switch and throw a p0841 until its relearned. Im also reading could drive around a while until its relearned but dont want to damage anything in the meantime if there is a way to quicklearn the tranny once more. Shifting is improved but sometimes the rpms feel a little off not as bad as before replacing the oss and the iss though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Back when these were still fairly new they would trigger solenoid codes. Sometimes it was internal but a lot of times it was water intrusion into the main transmission plug on the top passenger side of the transmission. I think it is a 10 way connector and you used to be able to order a new one if it was corroded. You did say that you were in water.

If memory serves me correct they were a PITA to deal with.
rlenglish thia is great info did you have to take the cat off to get to the plug on that passenger side. I was in some deep water for 15 seconds tops. I was trying to get to the tranny sensors on the passenger side and I dont see how to get them out without taking the cat out?

·
Registered
926 Posts
If I remember correctly the connector wont pull up enough to disengage, so we had to put a jack under the cross member and lower the back of the transmission. Watch for other wiring especially the o2 sensor wiring.

Quick learn needs to be done with a scan tool.
Replacing a oss/iss should not change shift parameters. Shift parameters will learn with regular driving. Unless you have done a internal repair I would not worry about that.

Your fluid level is good right? Some fluids are susceptible to foaming. When your tans is really hot check to see if there is any foam or bubbles on the dipstick.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts