Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic most likely has been beat to death but....... I have an 2006 TJ rubicon, automatic trans and only 36,000 miles. I have had the OPDA replaced about 4000 miles ago and every once in a while while accelerating moderately hard (getting on the freeway) the CEL comes on and my Jeep looses power. I can slowly get up to speed if I accelerate slowly with no jerking. The weird thing is if I turn off the Jeep for a minute restart it's ok. The CEL is still on for several days but then goes out. I put a new camshaft sensor (mopar) in and Jeep would not start. Replaced it with the old one and it started right up. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
962 Posts
I know this topic most likely has been beat to death but....... I have an 2006 TJ rubicon, automatic trans and only 36,000 miles. I have had the OPDA replaced about 4000 miles ago and every once in a while while accelerating moderately hard (getting on the freeway) the CEL comes on and my Jeep looses power. I can slowly get up to speed if I accelerate slowly with no jerking. The weird thing is if I turn off the Jeep for a minute restart it's ok. The CEL is still on for several days but then goes out. I put a new camshaft sensor (mopar) in and Jeep would not start. Replaced it with the old one and it started right up. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks in advance
Chris,
May not help but... I just had a thread on a #4 cylinder misfire CEL. The fix was replacing the spark plugs. I read that the later model 4.0 inline 6 is sensitive to worn plugs. I used the ROF recommended NGK ZFR5N. Relatively easy to change out and cheap too. That fixed my CEL.

As to the camshaft sensor, I replace my OPDA with a Crown and kept getting engine codes. Took it to the dealer and had them tune it with their Chrysler scan tool and still kept giving codes when accelerating up a mountain grade. The mechanic found that the new OPDA's shaft wobbled and that caused the code. The replacement Crown OPDA worked.

Keep us informed on what you figure out.
Bob

·
Registered
962 Posts
What is a P0340 code?
Here is a generic definition.

https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0340Code P0340 Definition

Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

What Does P0340 Mean?
The camshaft position sensor located in the internal combustion engine, monitors position and rotational speed of the camshaft. The sensor sends this information to the Power Control Module (PCM) and the PCM uses this information to control ignition spark and fuel injector timing. When the trouble code P0340 is set, the ignition spark and fuel injector timing fails due to a number of reasons.

P0340 Symptoms*
Check Engine Light
Vehicle will not start – may be difficult to start
Rough idle/stall
Vehicle engine misfire
Loss of power when driving
*In many cases there may be no noticeable issues with your vehicle

P0340 Causes
Faulty PCM
Defective, corroded, shorted camshaft position sensor circuit wiring
Defective, corroded, shorted camshaft position sensor circuit connector
Defective camshaft position sensor
Faulty crankshaft position sensor
Code P0340 Severity – Severe
The vehicle may be difficult to start and the driver may also experience a lack of power when driving. It is possible for more damages to occur inside of the engine of the vehicle if disregarded for an extended time period. It is extremely important to repair code P0340 as soon as possible.

Code P0340 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Replacing the camshaft position sensor without checking the wiring and connectors beforehand. There may also be the possibility of neglecting the possibility of a misfiring problem that may be possible sources.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts