Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting the Garvin tilt back overhead rack on the Rubi, or a new bumper/rack. I saw them in the Quadratec catalog. I went online and checked it out. Seems like a nice set up.

Do any of you know about these? I would use it/them when I go camping with my wife and kids. Do I need to keep the rack on all of the time? Or do I need to unbolt and rebolt everytime I want to use it. If this is the case am I stripping out the female portion of the bolt next to the front window hinge? Any pros and cons of these racks?

Thanks in advance, oh and if yu know of another company let me know as well, again thanks.

BAAM :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been wanting to get the same rack for the same reasons. The rack bolts onto the body, so there is some drilling from what I can tell. It stays in place and the only time you really need to mess with it is if you are taking the top off (or putting it on). Then you just tilt it back, deal with the top, and put it back in place. From what I've seen it is well made, sturdy (I believe it holds 300 lbs, but I may be wrong), and looks good.

·
Registered
368 Posts
personally i like kargomaster's congo cage and basket setup better but it winds up being higher than the garvin

it doesnt seem a daunting task to remove the whole thing

the problem i have with all these racks system is tilting it back to raise/lower the soft top

someone on ju did a write up on the kargomaster

http://www.4x4xplor.com/kargomaster.html

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hey Theep

You seem to have what I want for my 03. An OME 2.5 and a 1 BL, any issues I should look out for? Any vibes afterwards. Any help would be appreciated. As for the rack, the Garvin is convienent but still a pain. Hope you don't mind wind noise if you do any highway travel. P

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no real issues with either lift. Both were straight forward and relatively uncomplicated. I did both myself and have zero experience with installing either. The only suggestion I would make is to get the adjustable track bar with the OME instead of the bracket if you can. The bracket is a PITA, plus I've been told that it is prone to bending and breaking while wheeling. I'll be changing to the adjustable track bar as soon as I can. The only issue I had with the body lift dealt with the radiator, but that would be solved with a MML (don't know if you were thinking about this or not) or some trimming. As far as vibes go, I have none. From what I understand, this can be hit or miss. I also have the auto trans, don't know how much difference that makes. Good luck with it! I'm very happy with this combination.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks

Nothing beat expierence and I appreciate your sharing yours. I'll let you know my results. Thanks again, P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kargomaster rack

I've had my Kargomaster for about 2 months now. I've been pretty happy with it. Here are some details. First, and this will be no surprise, the Jeep fasteners were a hassle to remove. I had to drill several and use E-Z outs. There wasn't enough clearance from the body to the back of the pivot hinge so you'll need to use washers to shim the rack from where it mounts to the body at the taillights. The rest of the install was straightforward. The antenna does touch the rack, so I wrapped some electrical tape on the antenna then zip tied it to the rack to prevent wear. Once installed you'll hear some different wind noise, but hey I have a soft top and am used to noise! The front of the rack unbolts easily to pivot the rack to drop the top. A drawback is that the hardware that attaches Yakima bars to the rack limits the side to side range of the accesories, ie. my ski rack must be installed between the Kargomaster bars.
Other concerns are: whether I can run a horizontal Hi Lift rack on a tire carrier above the tire without interference. I also don't think I can run lights at the windshield hinges or a snorkel. :(
Everything is a compromise, so overall I'm pretty happy with it.
One final note, I initially ordered a Smittybuilt RockKrawler rack and it remained on backorder for 8 months before I lost my patience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts