Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 JKUR. Yesterday we went wheelin. Had a great time. After I aired up and such and started for home I noticed a yellow light saying my Overdrive was off. How do I get this light off? I understand on earlier JK's they had an actual OD switch. I find no such switch on mine. So why is this on and how do I fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have a 2017 JKUR. Yesterday we went wheelin. Had a great time. After I aired up and such and started for home I noticed a yellow light saying my Overdrive was off. How do I get this light off? I understand on earlier JK's they had an actual OD switch. I find no such switch on mine. So why is this on and how do I fix it? Thanks
I would scan it for a code. If you don't have a scanner then do a battery disconnect and see what happens. I suspect that in other markets our jeeps are equipped with a tow/haul switch. Either that or our clusters are still pre 2011 technology. I think your cluster has become confused, FCA likes to blame RF on everything but it could be software. Think about how often a pc acts up for no reason.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would scan it for a code. If you don't have a scanner then do a battery disconnect and see what happens. I suspect that in other markets our jeeps are equipped with a tow/haul switch. Either that or our clusters are still pre 2011 technology. I think your cluster has become confused, FCA likes to blame RF on everything but it could be software. Think about how often a pc acts up for no reason.
Yes it's odd. The pre-2012 models had a completly different dash and a switch on the shifter to disco the OD. It seems to shift fine and is running at about 2.000 rpm at 60 mph. I don't remember at what RPM's the jeep ran at 60 prior to my recent tire change and installing the AEV module deal to correct the speedo and TPS. But it seems to me I can feel the OD lock in. I'll hook up the scantool and see if I find anything.

·
Registered
530 Posts
??

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I finally had a little time to mess with it. Hooked up my OBDII reader, it shows nothing. Disconnected the battery for 15-20 minutes, ditto, nothing light is still on. Any advice is helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I did the OBDII check, zilch. Discoed the battery for a while, zilch. I looked on another forum with somebody who had a '15 model with this issue. like 1/2 page of everyone saying the newer JK's don't have a OD switch or light. LOL Believe me, there is a light. He took his to the dealer and they replaced the cluster on warranty.
But I think this OD light is a snafu from FCA. It's supposed to be a low tire pressure light but some clusters had the wrong printing on them or something. Last time out my OBA burst a hose while filling the last tire so it had maybe 5 psi less than the others. Once home I filled them up, but haven't driven it yet. So I'll run it arouind a bit and report back.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, that was it. I've had the tires aired down before. Light never came on. It's funny you pay all this money for a Jeep and they don't have the idiot light labeled correctly. The guy on the other forum actually had his go into limp mode as the light was on too long. Not sure I believe that. So remember, if your OD OFF light comes on FCA wants you to check your tire pressure.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Now isn't that something. So my '14 has a low tire light and your '17 either got a very old stock cluster panel or a panel from a different country. Is their another country that uses miles and not Kilometers?

·
1,481 Posts
Nice detective work. Mixed bag on feeling good about it right? Are you going to start some type of paperwork on this? Seems like they need to make it right. Like you said, you paid a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now isn't that something. So my '14 has a low tire light and your '17 either got a very old stock cluster panel or a panel from a different country. Is their another country that uses miles and not Kilometers?
Apparently some Canadian models have a Tow/Haul switch and that light is in that area.

Nice detective work. Mixed bag on feeling good about it right? Are you going to start some type of paperwork on this? Seems like they need to make it right. Like you said, you paid a lot of money.
Nah, I know what it is now.

And it may be my doing. When I bought the Jeep that dash panel was way dark and hard to see on a sunny day,. I got an aftermarket white overlay for it. (lot of work putting one of those in!) It could be the overlay has the different labeling on? I can't remember if that portion of the panel was different or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts