Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
A Canadian With A/C in his TJ!?! Just yankin' ya, its your jeep whateva turns your crank. I haven't seen any A/C equipt Rubicons out this way but I do know that if you allow dirt and debris to accumulate between between the radiator and the condensor that your engine will overheat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha Ha....
In T.O. we do have a summer. I was told by another Rubi owner who also has a jeep shop that has this problem himself and seen it on a few others. May be a belt issue to water pump and fan.
Well if there are any other reports, please let me know.
As for Alberta, it is the only place I know where the word snow can be used any month of the year. Give you this ....your 4x4ing is better than here.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's always hot here. (not as hot as Mac is now). Right now it's cooler here with rain, but it's always 85 to 95+. I run my A/C everyday. No problems.

I'm more than a mile high with thin air. When slow wheeling, it's HOT!

I can hear the fan clutch tighten because it sounds like the fan is pulling me (it really makes noise). It is amazing how much air it moves.

I'm sure the guys in Az or Tx have the same heat. I have not heard of anyone over heating. This is the first.

HTH, Chris

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i have no issues with air..actually suprized how well it cools.

did not even have to run the fan switch on full throttle..had one
more click to go.

last jeep was a YJ and that air cond system was useless.

:wink:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Summer in T.O.!?! How would you know!?! Aren't you guy's hiding from SARS!!! LOL!!
And as for mad cow dieases, don't worry, we ate them all!!
P.S. Watch out for mad rednecks. lol!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have no problems with overheating with the AC on, but if it has idled a long while with the AC on, the temp will go up just a very small amount and, as Chris commented, you can then very definitely hear a different (louder) sound from the fan as the clutch tightens up.

You might listen and see if you notice this change in sound which would at least indicate proper functioning of the clutch.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In San Diego (in the 80's), the fan clutch doesn't "change gears" (get loud). I've been to palm springs for a couple of days now (112 in the shade and 90 at 6:00am!) and I notice that the clutch does go into "high speed" mode on a regular basis.

edit: I forgot to mention that I had the two kids, all their gear plus all my wheelin' gear in the jeeperman rack and in back of the rubicon (dropped off the kids to go wheelin for the day). The Rubicon was sitting pretty low due to the heavy load and the engine was getting quite a work out.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
maybe i am just used to running the air..and the KKLZ classic Rock is on
so i dont hear the fan clutch..

:roll:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Haven't had any problems yet.

G

·
0 Posts
This is my first post, hi guys!

I just went on the jeep jamboree in Bobcaygeon and it was great. I had over heating problems and we had to suspersoak the rad. The heat was on full blast but that wasn't enough. It was as if someone had poured mud inside the whole engine bay! There were also a couple TJs and many other Rubicons that had the same overheating problem as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Did you drive through mud? The light pudding kind that filled your radiator so no air would pass through at the same time coating the engine bay?

After that, the Jeep overheats????

I'm sorry, I still haven't heard of any problems with '03 Wranglers overheating.

Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Seems like mine like to run warm, but definitely no problem overheating with the A/C. Only gets into the 90s in my neck of the woods though...

Hank

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I have not experienced any problems, and that includes running the air conditioning while rockcrawling (hey, no need to be uncomfortable.) My Jeep runs right at or slightly higher than 210 degrees indicated.

But the underhood temps are really high. The hood prop is virtually too hot to handle after crawling over a section of trail. I write that off to those stinking cats we have at the manifolds, and the fact I do have a black Jeep.

Anyone else notice the hood prop getting really hot?

Jerry

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah Jerry, my hood prop also gets real hot under normal driving. After offroading with the A/C on, I can barely open the hood!

The prop is especially bad since it sits near the radiator.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Our hood prop get's hot as hell(black Rubi also). The only overheating we have experiecned was on a run a 02 and 03 TJ both lost their clutch fans and caused them to overheat .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4x4x12 said:
This is my first post, hi guys!

I just went on the jeep jamboree in Bobcaygeon and it was great. I had over heating problems and we had to suspersoak the rad. The heat was on full blast but that wasn't enough. It was as if someone had poured mud inside the whole engine bay! There were also a couple TJs and many other Rubicons that had the same overheating problem as well.
Weird, that this this is only showing up in Southern Ontario. My unit seems to be fine for now, but I rarely run the air as it has run topless for most of this summer. What I am hearing is belt tensioner loosens up over time and allows for slipage, could be wrong on that, but we are seeing a problem in this region on some models.

G

·
0 Posts
CCraig said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Did you drive through mud? The light pudding kind that filled your radiator so no air would pass through at the same time coating the engine bay?

After that, the Jeep overheats????

I'm sorry, I still haven't heard of any problems with '03 Wranglers overheating.

Chris
You got it. Went through some soup/pudding like mud and it clogged the rad. After a little bit of driving the temp started increasing. All I know is that there were several Rubis overheating this past weekend.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, it’s not a Wrangler problem; it’s a physics problem.

When you plug a hole, nothing can get through. In this case, it was your radiator and air.

I did that once. It must have been clay. The heat of the radiator baked that stuff in there. There were hundreds of little bricks in there. Get one of those fine mist nozzles, turn it on low, put it on the front of the radiator so it gently keeps the whole thing wet, (cold engine by the way), go watch a movie, come back and GENTLY wash it out. Don’t use a nozzle when washing it out. The fins are pretty thin and you don’t want to bend them. Or if you do use a nozzle just be careful. I just used my finger over the end of the hose.

If you have A/C like mine, then it’s a real pain. The A/C radiator was plugged, the engine radiator was fine.

You will have to get it out. If not, your Jeep will be overheating forever.

One more thing, and I don’t think you care, but….

I HATE MUD and right now, down here, it’s everywhere.

HTH, Chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts