Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil:
Well to start off let me tell you the mods on the rubi 4" tera, wilderness bumper and swing out, warn 9.5 ti. The very first time I went wheelin after the mods I started to have over heating problems. It got in to the red on the temp gauge before I even realized it. I was on a trail that had a mix off mud and rocks when it happened and was climbing a mild incline. I shut off the engine and let it cool down for a while(the over flow was boubling). After it had cooled down a bit I turned the engine back on and ran the heat to help bring it back down, it worked and I continue on with the trip. After I got home from the trip I washed the heck out of the jeep inside and out, especially the radiator fins(garden hose) and took it to the dealer. They told me it was due to the winch in the front of my jeep that it was over heating(kinda makes sense since less air goes through now). Sine then I have been wheelin a few time and it has overheated(got in to the red) randomly(no real consistance as to cause).
I just took it in for its first oil change and after I got it back I noticed that it started to leak radator fluid from the very bottom of the radator(near the drian). What should I do? Is the dealer full of STuff? I need help.
Sorry so long.

G

·
0 Posts
I've run a winch in front of the radiator for years now. I've never overheated the engine because of the winch. I live down here in Florida and even on the hottest days (Heat index 112) I went Jeepin and didn't have a problem Rock steady at 210 all day with the A/C on. Most of the guys in my club run with winches and don't have any problems.

Ron

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you about the rad fluid but I know a few friends had heat issues because of their clutch fans/ fan cluth would break after going through mud and water and not draw air through. How big was the puddle? Hopefully nothing poked a hole in your rad or hoses.

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
There is no way a winch in front of the radiator is going to contribute to engine overheating. Ask the dealer what they would have said if you had bought the winch from them and had them install it.

Coolant leakge of any kind is completely unacceptable on a new vehicle. Take it back, insist they find the problem, and fix it. If they balk, ask them when you can make an appointment for that new engine you're going to need.

Jerry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would I know it was the clutch fan? It seems to work(the fan is spining when the engine is running). So it is definately not the winch causing the problem? Thanks for the help, keep it coming. :cry:

·
Registered
628 Posts
If your fan is turning it's not the clutch fan, like Jerry said make your motor appointment now.

Adam

·
Registered
750 Posts
No Overheating with winch...

I live in Central California, and have driven the Jeep in 100+ degree heat with the A/C on around town, with no overheating problems. I have a Warn 9.5ti winch on the Warn winch mount, placing it square in front of the radiator.

I remember reading that Jeep engineers put a larger 7 blade fan on the Rubicon because they would be used at low speeds with things like winches blocking air flow... so it was designed to handle it. Guess the larger fan is why I notice the fan noise so much... :)

As yours is overheating at random, it sounds more like there is an intermittent issue with an air leak or bad thermostat causing problems... air in a Jeep I6 can cause weird problems. My sister's '82 AMC Eagle with the 4.2L overheated at random (once in 40 degree weather!) until we found a pinhole sized leak that was letting air into the system at the radiator. Fixed that leak, and it hasn't overheated since.

As the newer Jeep I6 uses a higher temp cooling system, it would make sense that it is even more sensitive to air bubbles in the system.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am guessing the one of the tank connections on the core has come loosednot allowing pressure to me maintained in the cooling system.

It is common on the plastic TJ radiators. I would try and get a metal or aluminum radiator, but that will not be covered at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
4wheelinfreedom said:
I would just remove the winch and take it in to the dealer.
I would not take off the winch....You can order you JP with the winch then you can put one on and you will not have any problems with the dealer...I run an 8274 and I have never had over heating problems....I would have to bet that it is the fan clutch....Famous for just not working or working periodically.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Make sure the fan clutch is working properly. When you first start in the morning or when it (the fan) is really hot, if should make a LOT of noise. It might be that the clutch is turning it, but not really engaging when needed.

In the morning, when cold (or really hot), mine is so loud I swear it's pulling the Jeep.

HTH, Chris

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not certain of my ground here so please correct me if I have provided misinformation...

The fan clutch is activated by a fluid that becomes more viscous as it gets hotter. So, when a cool engine is started, the fan spins, but is not driven at top speed because it is allowed to slip by the clutch. Once the engine has arrived at its operating temperature, the clutch warms up to the point where it causes the fan to turn at full speed, and, in the process, cools the engine, coolant, and itself down allowing more slippage of the fan clutch. This cycle is repeated again and again as long as the engine is running.

I, too, drive in a warm climate (New Mexico) at high altitude, and have had no problems. Posts on this board alerted me to the possibility of a problem months ago, and I have watched the operating temperature carefully. If you are having a problem, something is wrong with the cooling system. The one thing I would check before having the dealer fix it is whether you have accumulated any debris that is blocking the air flow through the radiator. I have found that I get a lot of weeds and seeds in there which I blow out with the air hose from the back side.

Dan

·
Registered
308 Posts
When the fan first starts in the morning, it will, in fact, be pulling full air. Mine does it for about 2-3 mins. As the clutch comes up to temp, it will cut out. I only said that because it's easier to check it in the morning. I'll will have to check again as my nights are warming up. (70 F)

Other than that, you can start your Jeep and come back in 20 mins.

HTH, Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts