Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our friends Ed (Black Rubi) and Erma came down to Ridgecrestthis past weekend from the bay area to play in the desert around here and tosee new sites. They have been coming down once a year for the last severalyears and it is always a good time.

Friday it was the El Paso Mountains, we started off on thewest end of town by the shooting ranges, went thru Sheep Springs, worked ourway over towards Bickle camp and about a mile east of Bickle my wife yells STOPand give me the camera! As I hand her the camera I see what she is looking at, It’sa bear! I am not kidding here we are looking at a young adult bear, brown incolor. It watched us for a little bit then decided that when my wife wascalling it “here kitty kitty” that it was time to leave. It slowly went up thehill and disappeared out of sight.

We stopped at Bickle for lunch and to check out the picture,man we still can’t believe what we saw. After lunch we went up Bonanza Gulch,past the post office and over to the dam that was built back at the turn of the1900’s. Then we went to the “rock house” that overlooks Last Chance Canyon andafter we explored a bit we went down (north to south) Last Chance Canyon.

Graduation Hill is getting more and more remodeled afterevery rain and this time was no different. We worked our way down to the end atGarlock Road and aired back up for the drive home. After we got home it was offto Xin Bowl for dinner.

Saturday we were joined by our local friends Jim and Donnaand today it was to be Death Valley. We got to the turnoff for Balaratt andaired down for the long dirt road to the trail head for South Park Canyon. Thiswould be the first time up South Park since the BLM got rid of the telephonepole bridge and replaced it with a permanent rock filled solution.

We checked out the Rock Cabin as nobody was there but wecould not check out the Briggs Cabin as it was taken. We went up and over thenew “bridge” and found out the BLM had actually gotten around to “repairing”Chicken Rock, by this I mean they broke out most of the middle section of rockthat seems to give people fits and since it was flat rock pieces they filledthe hole. Chicken rock is no big deal now, just Drive it.

Up the canyon we went and at the top we went to the StrippedButte Overlook then we turned north and followed the ridge up and down 5 setsof hills before coming to Rodgers Pass at the top of Pleasant Canyon. We wentdown Pleasant and stopped at Rita’s Cabin, the bathtub, and of course ClaireCamp. On the way out we took the high road instead of the lower canyon so Edand Erma could see the views.

Then we stopped at Balaratt to air up and to see the“sights”, once done we headed for home but stopped in Trona at the Trails Endfor an ice crème cone, yummy. Then off to our house for a baked Ziti dinner.

Sunday it was back into the El Paso’s for a trip to the Walsh Cabin that sits on top of a mountain and has cables holding it down. Thenover into Mormon Flats and Holland Camp for lunch. After lunch we check out thewell north of Holland then we headed out east to check out the Garlock Faultwhere you can drive right across and active earthquake fault. Then it was timeto go home and to Casa Corona for dinner.

A great time was had by all and if I can get any pics addedI will soon. Thanks for reading!

·
Administrator
10,777 Posts
Texas is not so bad, I lived there for 5-6 years and loved it! But I didn't have a Jeep then.
There are a few private off-road parks within an hour or two drive from us but we have a major house remodel/addition project going on so we're completely absorbed with that. Our area of Texas is commonly referred to as The Hill Country and while all of the mountains are in far SW Texas, we have some beautiful rolling landscapes in the area.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a few private off-road parks within an hour or two drive from us but we have a major house remodel/addition project going on so we're completely absorbed with that. Our area of Texas is commonly referred to as The Hill Country and while all of the mountains are in far SW Texas, we have some beautiful rolling landscapes in the area.

I had a Kawasaki KLX 650 when I lived in Carrollton and I had heard about the private OHV areas but for the life of me I could not get anybody to give me a name or contact info. I was a Californian after all! LOL

Have a good time with the remodel and get out and enjoy your Jeep soon!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up:

I have spoken to the wildlife biologist for the BLM and she will be letting all other agencies concerned know about the bear to make sure it is OK and/or re-located.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If yer drivin’ a diesel motorhome pulling a heep you think some of the “hills” on I10 are mountains! ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts