Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone every had chrystler properly fix the opda issue under warranty, i see everyone replacing opda's, sensors, even camshafts themselves when there is a recall out for this, and if it was repaired under recall did they actually install an updated opda or did they just throw a new oem one on that has the same oiling/seizing issue and hardened gear.. its a clear engineering disaster that they took a perfectly working system from previous few years and tried to cheapen the cost up but overlooked supplying oil to a bushing thats spinning at 50% engine rpm and driving the oil pump/tone ring, then hardened the gear on the opda more than the came gear therefore allowing it to ruin a cam and cost thousands of dollars in repair instead of a 60$ part.. even worse is the potential for it to go unnoticed and allow the oil pump to die and killing the entire engine

i know its been over 10 years here but they issued a recall and then didnt fix the issue.. people who didnt drive their jeep 30k miles a year are just getting to the point of this issue now, they told me they "inspected" it in 2005 under previous owner and it wasnt worn.. well of course its not seized or worn at 5k miles it should still be fixxed to where it isnt the week link of the vehicle at 90k miles

ranting maybe but i still see similar things going on, jeep JL electronic steering for example is just a train wreck and the best they do is replace parts with the same designs that just failed after 3k miles.. the day the warranties up and you note the recall theyll say they fixxed that recall on the vehicle already

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jeep never changed the design.

There was not a recall. There was a TSB for a limited number of '05s for OPDA gear failure.

Dorman or Crown are your choices to fix the crap OEM design.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a recall in canada anyway.. not that it does anygood they just look at it and either replace the parts with same design or they just check mark a box that it hadnt failed when they looked at it and send it out the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hey Mooshead, No recall I ever found about. Some early build owners did get a replacement OPDA under warranty because of the TSB mentioned, but most failed shortly. I know of several the continued to drive with the Mopar replacement OPDA and ended up with an engine rebuild at their own expense.
Knowledgeable owners just either did a DIY mod or installed a Crown unit.
Regardless of the mileage on your rig remove the thing inspect it and put it on the shelf and install a Crown unit. While the old unit is out inspect the cam gear for excessive wear and decide whether it is good or bad. Do this action yourself with excellent instructions on the web or find a non- Mopar Jeep shop to do it for you. Search for a fiber optic app for your phone to get a detailed image of the gear.
FYI, failures are on record at as low as 8k miles and as high as 50k miles to my knowledge.
PaulW

·
Registered
539 Posts
I replaced mine at 36k with I believe the crown unit. It has now lasted longer than the original. The original went from fine to sounding like the engine was coming apart in one single start. It was fine, then it was dying horribly LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've seen many references to this OPDA issue for the 2005 & 2006 model years. My 2005 Rubicon had 90k miles when I bought it from the original owner 5 years ago and 105k now. No record of replacement.

Should I still replace?

·
Registered
211 Posts
You should pull and inspect the gear for wear and check the shaft for binding if it is the original. I believe they were marked LDI, or something close to that. There are plenty of videos on checking it on youtube.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen many references to this OPDA issue for the 2005 & 2006 model years. My 2005 Rubicon had 90k miles when I bought it from the original owner 5 years ago and 105k now. No record of replacement.

Should I still replace?
i would definetly replace it with a crown automotive unit, its 80$ i believe on amazon and can save your camshaft, reuse the sensor from the factory unit and chuck the sensor from the crown unit

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, so it's probably covered in great detail in many other places, but the Chrysler Campaign literature for this issue says that only a limited number of engines were affected, not everything from 2005/2006.

My date code is 4280, so apparently mine was manufactured before this issue was introduced.

I know that $100 is cheap insurance, and I've already spent thou$and$ on the White Rat (as I write this I'm glad the wife isn't looking over my shoulder), but it doesn't seem as though I'm at risk here for this particular issue. I'll still pull and inspect as JKP advises.

~John

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, i dont see how the opda could be good from factory as i thought they only had one design which didnt oil the bushings amd had over hardened gear, can certainly just inspect it regularly though it wont fail all of a sudden itll take 10-20k of it slowly getting stiffer and stiffer to ruin the cam, it should spin free like a bearing not have a bunch of resistance like a brake assembly would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
All of them are the same bad design.

Mine went 116K mi before the sensor failed. The gear looked ok; the shaft did not spin as freely as it should have; so I replaced it.

The problem is, there is no way to know how long it will last as the failures have happened at low mi, and yet others never have a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replaced with new Crown OPDA using the old OEM sensor. Old unit showed some wear on the helical gear, but nothing surprising for 105k miles. After replacement it ran like a top until it warmed up to ~160*, at which point the CEL came on with a P0016 error.

Long story short, I've now tried every combination of new OPDA/old sensor; old OPDA/new sensor; new OPDA/new sensor; rotation of OPDA in micro increments clockwise and counter clockwise (clearing CEL by disconnecting battery in between adjustments). Nothing has worked to clear the P0016 code.

I've even gone back and retimed everything (TDC, etc.). Still no joy.

Others have said I may need to go thru the scan tool relearn process. I hate being stymied like this! There HAS to be a driveway solution to this issue.

Anyone else gone thru this situation?

·
Administrator
10,695 Posts
You've done everything I can think of in your driveway. I would let the dealer use their scan tool to check the timing of the OPDA. I watched a Chrysler tech diddle with mine with their propriety scanner and the position of it is very, very sensitive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now this is what I love about this stuff - right after posting about my dilemma above, I took a quick trip into town. Shut off the Jeep, went inside for 10 min, and when I came back out and started it up, no CEL!

I guess it re-learned on its own!

Thanks for all the input!

~John

·
Registered
517 Posts
There is a recall. RC E05-05 pertains to vehicle built between Oct 20 2004 to Feb 1 2005. The recall involves inspecting the build date of the distributor and if suspect replacing the gear on the drive, If it came in failed at the time Jeep would have replaced the camshaft.
Recalls are for the life of the vehicle but the if the manufactures have given the consumer enough notifications then they can reject a claim.
Google the recall and see if it applies. Contact your dealer to see if it is still outstanding for your Jeep. It may have been done already.
I would be interested in the outcome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts