Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Ruby's having the limited slip in the back.. if i have one 33 and on 35 on that axle, i think it would burn it up.... right?
I'm thinking of going with 35 MTs for the trails and 33 ATs for the road. (daily driver) Can i get away with keeping a 33 incher for a spare? Or would i have to swap a front tire to the rear and then put the 33 inch spare on the front? (since the front doesn't have the limited slip)

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
That is exactly what you would have to do, swap to the front.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm.

I suppose i could live w/ that.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wouldn't you want equal diameter tires on the front...for steering and handling purposes?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only meant long enough to get off the trail..

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Ideally you want equal diameter tires, but I know some guys that went up to 35s and didn't buy a spare and have done this to get to the nearest gas station or tire place. The handling is not too bad, you won't be doing 70 down the interstate like this but it will get you off the trail.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
To get off the trail, that seems like a whole lot of work. The greater concern with the limited slip would be on the highway coming home, than getting off the trail. The limited slip shouldn't be a problem then either. A LSD allows the wheels to spin at different speeds...hence the limited slip part.

The priority is proper handling and you would want same diameter tires on the front...not the back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, ,if it was / is anything like the trash-loc in other wranglers. i'd think that two different size diameters would quickly wear out the clutch in the diff..
Not that I'm an expert by any means...

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
I agree with csmith on wearing out the limited slip.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Is it clutch-driven? I don't know.

Even if it is, you aren't going to wear out the clutches getting off the trail. No need to swap tires around for a short term fix to limp out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The rear does NOT have clutches. It is a torque sensing LTD slip. It operates as an open diff until one wheel spins a little, or moves farther than the other one. Keeping this in mind it seems that if you put different sizes on the rear then one wheel will be travelling farther than the other and I THINK this would actually cause the LTD slip diff to engage. Once it is engaged and there is high tractin on both tires (pavement) I would put the buck on it detonating and not being covered by warranty.IMHO
I am just going through the logic, the reality may be different.
The other side is that the diff ALLOWS one wheel to move faster as in going around a corner.

In fact I actually have no idea what the hell I am talking about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is exactly the kind of thing i am worried about.
<sigh> the jump to 35s means a rear tire carrier... and 5 tires..
OR, i can keep 4 33s ,and 4 35s and use one of the 33s as a spare and not have to spring for the new tire carrier yet.. see where I am going with this?
I think you guys have answered my question. I'll let you know what i end up doing.

fwiw, i've never had a flat ON the trail.. only off...

·
Registered
140 Posts
For limp-mode you should be fine - You can always play with the air-pressure to get the same diameter per axle.
I selected to have all 5 the same and my only trail flat so far is from clipping a valve-stem.
Cheers,
Nimo
csmith said:
With the Ruby's having the limited slip in the back.. if i have one 33 and on 35 on that axle, i think it would burn it up.... right?
I'm thinking of going with 35 MTs for the trails and 33 ATs for the road. (daily driver) Can i get away with keeping a 33 incher for a spare? Or would i have to swap a front tire to the rear and then put the 33 inch spare on the front? (since the front doesn't have the limited slip)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm. this is getting OT but do you think 35x15x12.5 or 16?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I use a 33" spare but used to run 35s and now run 37s

I had to drive 2 hrs with a 33 on the driver side rear with a 35 on the passenger side rear one time. I didnt even notice a difference while driving and 10k miles later I still have not had any issues. Nothing grenaded.

So I would venture to say that this does not kick in the limited slip and even if it did, in my case, it didnt amount to anything.

CSmith
Get 4 35s and keep a 33 as a spare.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts