Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much sums this up. I am in the market for onboard air and would like to know what you are using, do you like it, and what would you change if you had the opportunity.

TIA!!!

Ken

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
VIAIR # 450

adding a small tank just for backup :wink:
compr. is 100% duty cycle and can fill my 33'' tires from 15# to 28#
in approx 2min/tire.
when i go to dual batts then wont have to run the motor while using it.
:D

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some great set-ups!

Thanks and keep them coming!

:beercheers:

Ken

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
For the price and usefullness, nothing beats an engine driven compressor solution. The nay sayers will retort though and say, what do you use when your engine has died? Having gone the York route to start I will never even think about going electric in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
It depends. Ken, what do you intend to use your onboard air for?

Running lockers and emergency tire inflation only? An electric compressor might be enough.

Airing up tires after each wheelin' trip, running air tools in an emergency? Consider a CO2 system.

Airing tires, running air tools constantly, running an AiROCK? Get a York compressor.

BTW, right now I have all 3 types mounted on my Jeep. How's that for being decisive? Actually by the end of this weekend the ARB comprssor will be for sale....

Jerry

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I have a York 210 and it's great, at 1100 rpm it'll air up my 285's from 8 psi to 32 in a minute flat. The thing I like about the engine driven compressors is that:
1) if they wear out, you go get another junkyard compressor for cheap.
2) no matter what, you always have it with you
3) doesn't take up storage space
4) did I mention how fast it is?

HTH

Vince

G

·
0 Posts
I am undecided. Have been playing with a few ideas. The one idea that is different is based on a companion plan for the winch. When I got the Rubi, I added Durango 4x4 bumpers front and rear with 2" receivers at both ends. The main idea was that I would use the receivers for mounting a winch on a portable mount including heavy gauge wiring front and rear for power. At some point, I realized that a 12V air compressor (and tank?) could be mounted on a similar portable mount, and use these electrical connections as well.

I am attracted to the portable mount solution because of the ability to choose direction of pull when winching and because I will keep the equipment when I replace the current Jeep with another. Also, could use the winch with another similarly equipped Jeep when wheeling with a companion.

If I do go with the portable-mount winch, the electric compressor is real attractive for some of the same reasons.

One concern that is on my mind is that the equipment (winch and compressor) must be stored safely while traveling and wheeling. As long as I want a rear seat, I have no solution. Without the rear seat, I would consider mounting 2" receivers on a product like the Tuffy rear tool box so the the two devices could be pinned in place, and accessed easily when needed. With long enough cables, the compressor could be used without being moved to the bumper receiver.

I am still mulling this over and would appreciate any comments.

Dan

·
Registered
454 Posts
I saw a Rubi with a portable winch mount and when it was mounted on the front, the approach angle really suffered. He was trying to crawl over some rocks and had to change his line alltogether to make up onto the first rock. Granted, you have to be doing a lot of bigger rocks to really care much about your approach angle. I also didn't like how far out the weight is carried. You would definitely want to put the winch in the rear when you are travelling.

G

·
0 Posts
Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw a Rubi with a portable winch mount and when it was mounted on the front, the approach angle really suffered. He was trying to crawl over some rocks and had to change his line alltogether to make up onto the first rock. Granted, you have to be doing a lot of bigger rocks to really care much about your approach angle. I also didn't like how far out the weight is carried. You would definitely want to put the winch in the rear when you are travelling.
I agree. The equipment would be stored inside the jeep until needed. That is actually another advantage because I would not have the weight of the winch out there in front of the front axle all the time.

Dan

·
Registered
740 Posts
JerryC said:
Airing tires, running air tools constantly, running an AiROCK? Get a York compressor.

BTW, right now I have all 3 types mounted on my Jeep. How's that for being decisive? Actually by the end of this weekend the ARB comprssor will be for sale....

Jerry
Hey Jerry,

Okay, I have everything now. I was laying under the jeep scratching my head....where the heck does this 3 gallon tank go?

Care to share some pics of your air tank placement? :D

Thanks,
Ned

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here's my ExtremeAiere. It fills four 35x12.5x15's from 10psi to 28psi in about 11 minutes with no air tank and at 6500' elevation.

Brad

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've got the York and really like it.

Can't say anything about the electrics as I have only used the Walmart type (a waste).

I can't think of anything I'd change.

HTH, Chris

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I'll send you a PM Ned.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input everyone!

As of right now, my plans for onboard air are really just to re-air my tires after the ride - though who knows what the future holds. :D

I have researched the York, ViAir, QuickAir, and a few others and there appears to be quite a range in cost versus benefit. The ExtremeAir looks impressive as well.

So, more research, more justification, a little more working on the wife, and maybe I'll have something we can both live with.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any suugestions, I'm still researching.

Ken

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Right now I have a Powertank.
The portability is great and I have ended up using it for more than just jeep stuff.

I run Air Tools and air my tires up after a ride

I will be adding a York to my setup at some point, but that wont be for a while.
Got some other stuff I need to do first.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts