Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,so I've managed to aquire 2 more computers in the last month,and have the bright idea to put 1 in my Rubi.
I want to use it mainly as a hard drive mp3 player,but still be able to use it for wireless web access.and be able to use a printer.
Any ideas,links,advice,would be apreciated.
It will be a permanent install.
TIA 0X

·
Registered
454 Posts
Where are you planning on putting the M/B? Is it one of the compact m/b's? The Jeep is so limited on space that doing something like that would be a PITA. Are you planning on take the Rubi off road? If so, I suggest spending the extra money on shock resistant equipment. Also, spend some extra time on the install to make sure everything is mounted with some sort of vibration/shock absorbtion. I would recommend expanding foam and lots of it. ;)

Depending on where you live, temperature is a concern. I had a buddy who did pretty much exactly what you are doing who interfaced his system with and LCD display but when it got cold in the winter (I lived in Edmonton, Alberta) the display wouldn't work well and really none of the chips on that computer were rated for anything under -5 C. Wireless web access would be pretty f'n cool though. Nothing like being able to check your email from the top of a mountain or something.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think something like the Shuttle micro computers would be the right size or going with a Pocket PC and a 1 gb flash card.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This system looks pretty cool. I personally might opt for a Sony Vaio so it could be mounted on the dash or something like that. Also, some of the higher-end navigation equiptment like VDO/Dayton have the ability to integrate computers into your on-board sound system. This is seriosuly expensive though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
VIA mini-ITX motherboards are the right size and price, they have the cpu soldered on the motherboard and there is model that does not require a cpu fan, only a heat sink, people are already using them for car installations. the cpu/motherboard combo can be had for ~$100

it has all your standard I/O ports in a 17cm x 17cm package

the flash card is a good idea and i just saw an IDE adapter for compact flash, but a 2.5: harddrive (laptop size) would be cheaper with much more storage

they are low power, some require only 50watts - easy enough to run off your invertor, a company I found is also making an ATX PSU that runs off 12v DC, ie car battery

http://www.via.com.tw/en/VInternet/mini_itx.jsp

the VIA p5000 is fanless @ 533mhz
VIA C3-800 has a small fan @ 800mhz

the big question is where to mount it?

My original thoughts were, the center console with an lcd mounted via a cbrack or similar

if any one is contemplating or attempting an install and needs more info PM me, id be happy to help. I'd probably be doing this myself but rubi needs so many toys and an onboard computer is not at the top of the list... I think a york OBA is my next project [ramble off]

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had this idea awhile ago. Planned on using the Via epia series as well. They now have a 1000(1ghz) that looks pretty slick. i had planned on acquiring a 2nd OEM glove box, and mounting all components inside it, and modifying it accord ingly. iw oudl use a dremel to cut slots for CD drive so I coudl insert them w/ glove box closed.

I woudl be able to have GPS, MP3 playback, record video, and so much more. Most folks seem to take short cuts and use LCD monitors, but in order to make it really slick I woud liek to use a VGA 7" touch screen monitor, that way no need or a mouse.

But so far I haven't taken any shortcuts on my Jeep, so I don't want to start with what I like to call the jeeputer v1.0...I figure about a grand shoudl ake care of everything fromt he mobo to the monitor....and for now There is alot more important mods that that money can go towards.

·
Registered
368 Posts
SkyHighTJ said:
I had this idea awhile ago. Planned on using the Via epia series as well. They now have a 1000(1ghz) that looks pretty slick. i had planned on acquiring a 2nd OEM glove box, and mounting all components inside it, and modifying it accord ingly. iw oudl use a dremel to cut slots for CD drive so I coudl insert them w/ glove box closed.

I woudl be able to have GPS, MP3 playback, record video, and so much more. Most folks seem to take short cuts and use LCD monitors, but in order to make it really slick I woud liek to use a VGA 7" touch screen monitor, that way no need or a mouse.

But so far I haven't taken any shortcuts on my Jeep, so I don't want to start with what I like to call the jeeputer v1.0...I figure about a grand shoudl ake care of everything fromt he mobo to the monitor....and for now There is alot more important mods that that money can go towards.
i have an agate OEM glovebox if your interested

what do plan to do about a power supply?

·
Registered
561 Posts
dr_shigaloo said:
SkyHighTJ said:

i have an agate OEM glovebox if your interested

what do plan to do about a power supply?
Power inverter, or they make some 12v PS's that I have seen. Thanks for the GB offer. If and when I get the "priority" mods done..then I may have to take you up on that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would trade the laptop for (1) a web-enhanced cellphone and (2) an Apple iPod.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Patenter said:
I would trade the laptop for (1) a web-enhanced cellphone and (2) an Apple iPod.
Have the cell, and its a joke using the net on it. And the iPOD...BARFORAMA....Crapples SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts