Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all you OME buffs, I recently put on an RE BB but I really want to start buying OME parts. I was wondering if any of you guys know specific parts that I should order, to make a kit. Also who might sell them in individual parts. I have 2 Wranglers so I find that to keep putting mods on them both cost alot, so I try and buy a little for each at a time. I would want the OME hd springs.

Lastly, when I did the BB, I got OME shocks, will I be able to reuse them or will I have to get even longer onse. Also, is it possible to use the BB with the OME springs, what extra would I need, LCA???? or anyting else???
Thanks Guys

PS, should I get an ajustable track bar no matter which way I go?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do yourself a favor and call Dirk at DPGOffroad.com. I think he sells the most OME stuff of anyone. He can answer all your questions about it too.

I went this route and have no regrets. The only issue I've had is when I add one modification it usually leads to another and another and ... With the OME and 3/4" spacers only I had no vibes. I added the Medic transfer skid and engine skid and got the vibes. Doing the belly up gave me the clearance of a 4"+ lift while keeping the COG low. Real nice setup. Well this lead to getting a new TW CV driveshaft and rear UCAs to rotate the pinion. Then this lead to getting the Tera shock relocators and a new rear adjustable track bar. Rotating the pinion causes the shocks to hit the spring perch and the track bar to hit the gas tank. I have the Kilby skid and the stock track bar with the OME bracket.

You may need a new front track bar too. I got the JKS to re-center the front axle.

Also, you may want to consider a JKS BL and MML. These come in handy when you get around to doing other mods like the gas tank skid and transfer skid.

Oh yeah, great setup to run the 33s.

HTH

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Jeeprocking,
I have the same setup and experience, but still use the stock trackbar with an angled bracket. I too used Dirk.

Which rear adjustable trackbar did you get (JKS)?
Did you stick with the OME bracket or get a forward angled one?
Does the new trackbar completely clear the skid mounts?

Anyone run a triangulated rear with OME?

Thanks,
Nimo

jeeprocking said:
Do yourself a favor and call Dirk at DPGOffroad.com. I think he sells the most OME stuff of anyone. He can answer all your questions about it too.

I went this route and have no regrets. The only issue I've had is when I add one modification it usually leads to another and another and ... With the OME and 3/4" spacers only I had no vibes. I added the Medic transfer skid and engine skid and got the vibes. Doing the belly up gave me the clearance of a 4"+ lift while keeping the COG low. Real nice setup. Well this lead to getting a new TW CV driveshaft and rear UCAs to rotate the pinion. Then this lead to getting the Tera shock relocators and a new rear adjustable track bar. Rotating the pinion causes the shocks to hit the spring perch and the track bar to hit the gas tank. I have the Kilby skid and the stock track bar with the OME bracket.

You may need a new front track bar too. I got the JKS to re-center the front axle.

Also, you may want to consider a JKS BL and MML. These come in handy when you get around to doing other mods like the gas tank skid and transfer skid.

Oh yeah, great setup to run the 33s.

HTH

·
Registered
343 Posts
NimoTJ said:
Hi Jeeprocking,
I have the same setup and experience, but still use the stock trackbar with an angled bracket. I too used Dirk.

Thanks,
Nimo
I'm going to order the JKS with the Currie bracket. I need to talk to Dirk first to see if it will fit the OME lift. The JKS website reads that the rear track bar is for 3"+ of lift. I'll call him Monday to ask and hopefully order.

Someone on here said that the JKS has the curves in the right places. I think it was JerryC. After looking under the jeep the curves will have to be radical to clear the Kilby gas skid and the exhaust pipe.

Phil

·
Registered
140 Posts
I called JKS last Friday and they told me it would not work with less than 3.5" of lift. (more was better) Also, it would not fit anything but their bracket as their joint is wider.
I have 1.25" BL and OME and ordered RE1620 instead. I have their bracket already. Should have it on Tuesday and will let you know how it fits.
Thanks,
Nimo

jeeprocking said:
NimoTJ said:
Hi Jeeprocking,

Thanks,
Nimo
I'm going to order the JKS with the Currie bracket. I need to talk to Dirk first to see if it will fit the OME lift. The JKS website reads that the rear track bar is for 3"+ of lift. I'll call him Monday to ask and hopefully order.

Someone on here said that the JKS has the curves in the right places. I think it was JerryC. After looking under the jeep the curves will have to be radical to clear the Kilby gas skid and the exhaust pipe.

Phil

·
Registered
343 Posts
NimoTJ said:
I called JKS last Friday and they told me it would not work with less than 3.5" of lift. (more was better) Also, it would not fit anything but their bracket as their joint is wider.
I have 1.25" BL and OME and ordered RE1620 instead. I have their bracket already. Should have it on Tuesday and will let you know how it fits.
Thanks,
Nimo
Thanks, looking forward to the results. I've been out of town and didn't get a chance to call. I had the Rubi with me and that rear track bar is just thumping the gas skid on every bump.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nimo,

I forgot to ask about the bracket. Do you have the RE1602 or RE1603 bracket? Since I have a CV I may need the RE1602. Waiting for your results though.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got my RE1620 trackbar yesterday and installed it.
- In shape, it is very similar to the stock trackbar. Maybe a slightly better angle near my Kilby gasskid mounts.
- Its adjustable length starts at .5" longer than stock and then allows for some 2.5" extension.

Did it solve my problem? Not really.
1. My stock bar was twisted and would have worn out the bushings. The adjustable bar solves this with its heim joint. Solved.

2. I would like to have moved my axle to the passenger side a 1/4", so a shorter trackbar would have been good. By removing the lock nut, the RE1620 becomes about stock length. Not solved, but OK.

3. Gas skid clearance is about the same as before with my angled bracker. Not solved, but fair.

So overall, I'm better of with the RE bracket and bar than with the OME bracket and stock trackbar. But it’s not perfect.

I think I have RE1602, but can't find pictures on the web. I have Medic's T skid and Tom Woods CV. Angled my axle with JKS UCA and extended my shock mounts with Currie extensions. The OME bracket made the stock bar ride on the bolts to my gas skid.(edit)

I called RE and asked for alternative solutions. With only a 2 - 2.5" lift, there are very few other solutions. Most trackbars are built for 3.5"+ and others use the stock bar, as a too long bar will push your axle to the side.

My next project is a triangulated rear. I’m searching the web, but can't find a kit that people agree upon. Maybe I need to take welding classes.
Now I'm off to Moab. :D
Thanks,
Nimo

jeeprocking said:
Nimo,

I forgot to ask about the bracket. Do you have the RE1602 or RE1603 bracket? Since I have a CV I may need the RE1602. Waiting for your results though.

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nimo,

Sounds like a yes and no answer to the success of the RE track bar. Here's a link to the pictures of the brackets. http://www.rubiconusa.com/store/products.asp?folderid=74. I bet you used the RE1602 since you have a new CV driveshaft.

Did you have the OME bracket before you installed the RE bracket? If so, did you have to drill new holes?

I'm thinking I should go higher now just to fix the rear track bar issue. Well, the search continues.

Thanks and have fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes - I got the 1602 and two new holes where required. I have seen some posts of the bracket being updated for later year models. (My bracket is probably old and almost aligned with two existing (small) holes.
- As I had the OME bracket earlier, I already had to drill two other holes. Starting to look like a swiss cheese, but only two holes (upper) are in the same section.
I'm not so sure about higher. I don't want to impact on-road behavior and off-road is good as is. Might go for the OME spacers - 3/8".
(Toolkit is packet, now I just need some clothes and I can leave.)
Thanks,
Nimo

jeeprocking said:
Nimo,

Sounds like a yes and no answer to the success of the RE track bar. Here's a link to the pictures of the brackets. http://www.rubiconusa.com/store/products.asp?folderid=74. I bet you used the RE1602 since you have a new CV driveshaft.

Did you have the OME bracket before you installed the RE bracket? If so, did you have to drill new holes?

I'm thinking I should go higher now just to fix the rear track bar issue. Well, the search continues.

Thanks and have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts