Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Rubicon has remained bone-stock since I bought it new, with the single exception of a Draw-Tite hitch receiver (I know, I know, receiver hitches reduce rear clearance...let's debate that in another thread).

However, my original MTRs are about gone with almost 60k miles, and I am considering going up slightly to 32s (LT265/75/R16), with an OME lift to accomodate them.

I have read and researched OME lifts a good deal, and the point I am still trying to pin down is "light duty vs. heavy duty." Since my soft-top Rubicon has no extra armor, no winch, no heavy bumpers or tire carriers, etc, would the heavy-duty OME springs (933/942) be a little too much? I do occasionally load the rear down with luggage on a hitch rack, which squats the rear down a couple of inches on the stock suspension.

One of my two main concerns would be ride-quality (by going with the heavy-duty springs would I give up some of the famous OME ride quality?)

The other concern would be lifting it "too high." My research tells me that some people have netted three inches or a tad more with their OME lifts, particularly if they don't have heavy accessories. I am really trying to keep this simple, and so I would really like to avoid the need to address driveline vibes. Isn't three inches of lift getting close to driveline vibe territory?

As the time gets closer, probably within a few months, I will pick the brains of Dirk at DPG and David at Northridge, but in the meantime, any comments or suggestions on OME lifts as far as heavy-duty vs. light duty would be welcome.

P.S. I made a nearly identical post over on JF, just in case some of you who hang out over there thought you had seen this post before.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
No problem, choose the HD OME springs (933/942). The Rubicon model with the HD powertrain already weighs more than any other stock Wrangler, and light duty springs have no place at all on a Rubicon. If you use the light OME springs you won't hardly get any lift on a Rubicon, they only gave me about 1.25" on my 1997 SE model with soft top, where the only options were rear seat and rear bumper (yes it was a factory option in '97).

The springs are not enough, of course. You also need the shocks, the rear spring bumpstop extensions, and the rear trackbar drop bracket. But even the OME HD springs ride softer than the factory springs.

I'm down well below 2" of lift on my OME 933/942 springs after 6 years, due to a combination of more accessory weight and some amount of spring sag. I also found it desireable to have rear airbags to boost the rear height with a heavy load of camping gear. I mean, it was foolish to load up all that stuff, and drive 1300 miles to Moab or Colorado with the rear end sagging and the headlights too high - the airbags fixed it.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
There are endless threads on here regarding which OME. Is the ZJ/LJ too tall? Is the 933/942 too soft? I can only remember 1 thread that someone was concerned of it being too stiff. If you do a search you will have a few days of reading.

If you plan on staying light as stated then 933/942's is probably the way for you to go. Of course then you can discuss bumpstomps, shocks, track bar vs just the bracket.

My opinion? It's not too tall, it's definitely not too stiff and actually, depending on your wheeling, might be on the soft side.

I run 933/942/N66/N67 JKS adjustables front and rear with the correct bracket. Stock bumpstops. Aftermarket diff covers which I had to switch out the front because of rubbing. Hanson bumpers with a Warn 9.5ti and everything Rokmen underneath from steering box to the gas tank , including CA's. I've added 3/4" Daystar spacers in the front.

A great ride on the street but on some trails TOO SOFT! Sometimes I wish I had gone with the ZJ/LJ.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Based on this input and also on JF, I am leaning towards the 933/942/N66/N67 combo, with the rear trackbar bracket and rear bumpstop extensions that are common to most OME "kits". I have read comments here and there that the track bar bracket can put increased stess on the axle mount due to the additional leverage, so I have not made my mind up on it 100%. For the front, I would probably wait and see how noticable any axle offset was after the lift.

As far as being "too tall", as I said my main concern there is avoiding the need to address driveline vibes.

Another question I had related to my planned modest upgrade is...has any one had long-term success hanging an LT265/75/R16 MTRk on the factory spare tire mounts? Any interference with the stock bumper or the third brake light. Any trimming of the little rubber bumpers? Any concerns about long-term viability of the tailgate and hinges?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
FYI.....The ZJ/LJ kit (from DPG Offroad) supported 33s just fine on my '05, with Warn bumpers and tire carrier/spare tire, multiple skids, winch, cage, my 250 lbs, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts