• why bother?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Rubi had been retired from daily driving for probably 12 years now and has 63,000 miles on the clock. I change the engine oil yearly in August and remember changing the others once many years ago. Do the other fluids (gear oil, synchromesh, ATF+4) degrade with time and are they worth changing? Estimated cost is around $100. Poll for fun ;)

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,040 Posts
I voted yes, but my 04 with 80k miles syill has most of the original fluids. Only thing I changed was the oil (mobil 1 synthetic Hugh mileage every 5k miles), diff fluid, brake fluid (upgraded brakes). Still has the original transmission fluid (5 speed), transfer case fluid (dealer changed it when the jeep was 3 months old due to a leak), and rad fluid ( changed some of it when I had a hose leak).

·
Registered
541 Posts
So $100 is like a couple tanks of gas or one sliced tire?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I say change em out... I am about ready to replace all fluids in my '04 except situation is opposite: garage queen for 10 years and now a DD. I would add brake fluid too. I don't know enough about the coolant but should probably look into it... same for PS fluid. I will add though I changed my oil and diff fluid 500 miles ago, which was three years ago, and none of the fluids looked new... think it may be because of bad seals and gaskets everywhere, which I just replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts