Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why bother?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Rubi had been retired from daily driving for probably 12 years now and has 63,000 miles on the clock. I change the engine oil yearly in August and remember changing the others once many years ago. Do the other fluids (gear oil, synchromesh, ATF+4) degrade with time and are they worth changing? Estimated cost is around $100. Poll for fun ;)

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,123 Posts
I voted yes, but my 04 with 80k miles syill has most of the original fluids. Only thing I changed was the oil (mobil 1 synthetic Hugh mileage every 5k miles), diff fluid, brake fluid (upgraded brakes). Still has the original transmission fluid (5 speed), transfer case fluid (dealer changed it when the jeep was 3 months old due to a leak), and rad fluid ( changed some of it when I had a hose leak).

·
Registered
639 Posts
So $100 is like a couple tanks of gas or one sliced tire?

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
734 Posts
I say change em out... I am about ready to replace all fluids in my '04 except situation is opposite: garage queen for 10 years and now a DD. I would add brake fluid too. I don't know enough about the coolant but should probably look into it... same for PS fluid. I will add though I changed my oil and diff fluid 500 miles ago, which was three years ago, and none of the fluids looked new... think it may be because of bad seals and gaskets everywhere, which I just replaced.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I took the plunge and ordered everything from the A, glad I did. 4qt of Val. 75-140, 2qt of Pen synchromesh, 4qts of Val. ATF4.

So far I’ve changed out the front and rear diffs, the fluid was clear dark yellow and the drain plugs had some metal paste on them.

The synchromesh came out the same color with very little metal on the drain plug, MUCH thinner viscosity.

I ended up adding 1.5qt to each diff before it started running out. I was able to add just over 2qts to the transmission before if flowed out the side.

Time for a spin! IMMEDIATELY noticed a softer driveline with significantly less growling when taking off. I could tell there was more cushion in the diffs and less vibrations transferring though not as impressive as the noise.

What was drained? 25,000 miles on M1 75-140 and Pennzoil synchromesh installed 2008.

Future fluid changes include the T-case and power steering with Val. ATF4.

·
Administrator
11,249 Posts
The first time I changed my Rubi's xcase fluid I had to apply heat to the hex plug to break it loose, that might have been the first time that was ever removed.

·
1,818 Posts
The first time I changed my Rubi's xcase fluid I had to apply heat to the hex plug to break it loose, that might have been the first time that was ever removed.
Mine was about 12 years old and original. Turned out to be an uneventful change greatfully.

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,647 Posts
I only change the oil and coolant on my 05, but it only has 26,400 miles last I looked.

·
1,818 Posts
I only change the oil and coolant on my 05, but it only has 26,400 miles last I looked.
Impressive mileage. I think I have 107K. I was shooting the breeze with a mechanic I know and he said he never changes his oil and had 200K plus. He’s the guy that bird dogged my PCM when it got over my head.

·
Administrator
11,249 Posts
Where do you go for that in the Philippines? A garage or do you have quick drive-in and drive-out service places there?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I've finally gotten around to replacing all but the ATF this year. It's next on the list when I feel like doing more, but there is the whole debate of not changing atf. It is 16 years old and has 46k miles on it though so I guess it's probably time. I was debating taking it to a place that can do a full fluid swap vs a simple change in the driveway. Anyone have thoughts on auto trans fluid swaps?

·
Registered
639 Posts
When they do a automatic flush they hook one of your cooler lines up to a machine that claims to change all your fluid. The machine is equivalent to having a couple bucket of fluid. one is your old fluid coming out and the other is your new fluid going in that mixes with the old fluid in the transmission. Think of if you had a dirty bucket of water and put a garden hose into it. You would see results right away but it would take a really long time to have clean drinking water.
They are a good thing but you still want to drop your pan and change the filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts