Rubicon Owners Forum banner

Oil Pan Replacement

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  racerx1986 
#1 ·
My 04 Rubicon needs a new oil pan and a new main seal. I was quoted $400 for labor, so I am fixing it myself. Where is the best place to buy the pan and seal? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I used this video to do my pan gasket...

I decided to buy the pan gasket seal at a local O'Reilly auto parts store because if there was a problem with the seal I could quickly return it.

My pan gasket leaked bad and after the replacement hasn't leaked at all. I followed instructions in the video and used an anaerobic sealant using a spray on catalyst so it would cure after bolting the pan back on.

Used the stock pan. Take pics and let us know how your job goes.

My 05 pan would not clear the exhaust without dropping the skid to get the exhaust out of the way. Hopefully, your 04 will be easier.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was thinking I may have to move the exhaust pipe. Hopefully not.

#4 ·
Remove the exhaust head pipe and front drive shaft that way you'll have a much easier time with the pan and seal replacement. I really don't think you will be able to remove the pan with the head pipe in the Jeep.

#6 ·
Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.

#7 ·
After I boogered up my oil pan, I bought the new pan and gasket from Rock Auto. They have the stock pan for a VERY reasonable price. Buy a quality gasket and you'll be happy.
www.rockauto.com

Reactions: Desert Dog
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.