Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post my finding up here.

Oil change was due so, I went to auto parts place, and started looking thur everybox for a replacement filter that was bigger. What I found is Purolator Pureone filter PL30001 is same size as Oem one ( not sure of part number for oem Purolator ). It seemed to be about twice as big (or twice as long). Works fine as of startup, good oil pressure, and no leaks as of yet.

Anybody else have any bigger filters? I see the Donaldson ones on Skinnypedal site, I might try one next time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oil pressure may have been abit high. Not like I ever really paid it much attention before. I was just little bit over halfway.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil pressure may have been abit high. Not like I ever really paid it much attention before. I was just little bit over halfway.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I've been running the fram ph8a size. I generally use different brands, however I only know it as a ph8 from my ford days. I believe I read about here. Larger and seems to be a perfect fit.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
In my TJ I use to run the Napa Gold 1515. It's a Ford filter but allowed me to add a full quart of additional oil to the motor just for good measure. There should be plenty of info on this site about it in the archives.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TenaciousTJ said:
In my TJ I use to run the Napa Gold 1515. It's a Ford filter but allowed me to add a full quart of additional oil to the motor just for good measure. There should be plenty of info on this site about it in the archives.
X2 works great for me

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
5qt jug + 1 qt of Valvoline Maxlife Synblend with a Motocraft FL1A from Walmart....thats what i feed my kid every 3K.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
K&N 3001
or
Mobil 1 M301

6 qts of Mobil 1 5w-30 [A1/A5 rating]

I may start buying the donaldsons from josh. I have 6 months to decide.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Chris04 said:
Hate to throw water on your parade, but everyone's oil pressure is a bit over halfway for TJ's. We don't have a real oil pressure gauge.
The sender is a plain old switch. So, your gauge reads only 0 or a bit over halfway depending whether the oil pressure is above or
below ~6 psi.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Na you didnt I already knew about that. Was just using that as comparison.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I might be wrong but do you guys think with today's synthetic oils and high milage oils; do you think that it is still nessesary to change your oil every 3k?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
IMO, no. Especially when I spend $50/drain for oil that's advertised to run 5k. ($6.50/qt + $10/filter)

before my next oil change (next april probably) I'm going to order an oil analysis kit. Since I don't understand the result sheets, i'll post it up for Doc to comment on. That first one will be more of a baseline result, and all future results will show any trends.
Right now I'm using Mobil 1 5w30, with a ACEA A1/A5 rating, and a K&N 3001 filter. I think this will be my 5th long interval (6 months, ~4-5000 miles).

·
3,368 Posts
There is/was a thread somewhere on here that touched on oil change intervals. But I think it was mixed in with another discussion, bout like this one.

IIRC I think Doc goes longer than 3mo/3K miles on his changes. But I cannot recall what his intervals were (5k I think?). I totally ignore the whole 3 month aspect and only concentrate on milage. I drive mine daily, but not far, so I do not rack up much milage in a year. I generally only change mine 2xs a year maybe three. All depends on the driving and what all is done through the year. At that I still maintain the 3k interval. I have no reason behind it, I could go longer and I know it. I just don't. I use either the K&N or the Mobil one filter. I have started using the extra cap Mobil1 filter and plan on it again here soon when I do my next one. I have been using for a little over a year now the mobil1 HM 10/30 ACEA A3 rated oil as per Doc's recomendation.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used to change every 3k. But that adds up with synthetic oil and how much it cost it just wasnt making much sense to me. So now I run Mobil full synthetic and K&N filter and I go about 7k. at about the 3.5k range i dump a bottle of lucas oil conditioner in there. Now i am no mech. but things have been great and my jeep has been running great. I am probaly F'ing things up beyon belief but for now things are good. lol

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I'm no exspert but I go 5K to 6k miles, I use full sythetic mobile 1 hi milage and have started using the donaldson filters from Skinny peddle.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
RubiconMike26 said:
I used to change every 3k. But that adds up with synthetic oil and how much it cost it just wasnt making much sense to me. So now I run Mobil full synthetic and K&N filter and I go about 7k. at about the 3.5k range i dump a bottle of lucas oil conditioner in there. Now i am no mech. but things have been great and my jeep has been running great. I am probaly F'ing things up beyon belief but for now things are good. lol

Read Doc's write up---all of it and all of them. Great information!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Read Doc's write up---all of it and all of them. Great information!

X2

I use the donaldson filter with the M1 HM, been going 5K miles between OC's ,an EOA tells me i can go up to 7K
but NOW were talking years to put THAT much milage on the heep.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use a WIX #51515. That is the equivalent to; Fram ??8A or HP1, Mobil 1 M301, Motorcraft FL-1A, or Purolator ??30001.
Changed between 2,000-3,000 miles. I change the oil & filter every six months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts