Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I?ve been enjoying my rubi for the past 3 months an here in Michigan the weather is about to turn treacherous, my question is how to crawl my Jeeper properly ie. over curbs, how to drive in snow and slush, how to get from 2l to 2h to 4l to 4h, is there a video someone is familiar with ? I?ve been driving it very carefully due to its chunky price tag but I bought a jeep for a reason! I?d like to learn how to drive it. Thanks for all suggestions

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Welcome to the group.

My suggestion would be to look for a nearby jeep/off-road club and join up. Members will be happy to share their knowledge.

As for driving on ice and snow, unless you just moved to the area, you likely already understand how that works. I would caution a new 4x4 owner that the traction gained with four wheel drive gets you moving, but the laws of physics still prevail when trying to stop. Be smart with your speed in those situations.

Reactions: AAONMS

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Here's two things that may help you:

The second is from Metalcloak called "102 Off-Road Tips". It's in PDF form and I'm not sure how to relay that to you.

As for shifting your transfer case an owners manual would be a big help for you. You also should be able to find all kinds of info on line. I can't tell you because I don't know your year or type of transmission.

BTW welcome. There's lots of good people here on ROF that can help you.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
With an Auto 2017 it's fairly simple. TO get into 4hi you pull the lever next to the gear selector straight back. you can do it while parked (this may not always work if the gears don't line up, just pull forward a tiny bit and then it should be fine) or up to around 50 mph. That is all explained in the owners manual. I'm not 100% on the shifting while driving bc I have a manual JK, I always put it in neutral while shifting from 2hi into 4hi, I don't know if that's necessary with an auto. If conditions are bad enough that you think you'll need 4lo just stay home. I'd suggest finding some dirt roads or beach or somewhere other than pavement to try everything out before you need it. 4lo is tricker to get into, you'll go through the neutral position in the transfer case to get there and it can take a few tries. It's best to do this while idling forward. The number 1 rule for driving in snow and ice is take it slow. The Jeeps 4wd system should make sure you can always get out and rarely or never get stuck, but it won't help you stop or change direction. In snow and ice you cannot do anything quickly and to try to is guaranteed to get you into trouble.

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
Welcome to ROF! Good advice from the guys.

Generally speaking you approach an obstacle (like a curb) head-on or sometimes if it's a complex obstacle like a two step ledge you might need to approach at an angle. The angle could be 10, 20, 30, 45 degrees - it takes trial and error to figure out which is part of the learning cycle.

One other important facet of using your new JK is when driving across a slope (or off-camber). Generally speaking you want to avoid driving off-camber unless it's a mild angle. With lots of trail experience you can put your JK at what seems like scary angles but that "feel" takes time to develop.

There are lots of guys here with a ton of experience of driving on snow (on and off-road) so I'll defer to their experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it does not it stays in 2 high that extra option is a neutral my mistake. Thanks for your inputs.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
local jeeper here, where are you at in MI? Lets meet up and talk.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,994 Posts
Brownstown, I will PM you my number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts