Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was coming back from a Joshua Tree trip. Wind was blowing hard enough to blow bricks off the pavement. I was driving in a fairly strong crosswind. I was doing about 55 maybe less with the cruise control on. I had to steer into the wind pretty heavy and was being buffeted around quite a bit. I drove past a concrete barricade which blocked the wind for just a second or so. The Jeep rocked like crazy. I like to poop my panties. The cruise control shut down causing the the sensation of a parachute popping open. Dash started dinging, the ESC (or whatever ever it is) came on. The cruise control no longer worked. Once home I attached the OPD2 reader which showed no codes but also gave me the option to erase codes. I also disconnected the battery for a couple minutes. Once I started to drive the light went off and the cruise control started working again.
So what happened here?

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You were provided a lesson--"be happy, and go to church!". ;)
Yes. But how did the wind set off my traction control and disable my cruise control? I couldn’t use the cruise till I cleared the code.

·
1,779 Posts
I repaired a vacuum leak that took me forever to find. It restored my cruise control, but I noticed my cruise control is sensitive to small hills and winds and it will shut off. In my case there must be some kind of pulse causing it.

Maybe it thought you were in a collision? I honestly don’t know how our airbags aren't released with all the stuff we do. I even rear ended someone and the airbags weren’t deployed.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I repaired a vacuum leak that took me forever to find. It restored my cruise control, but I noticed my cruise control is sensitive to small hills and winds and it will shut off. In my case there must be some kind of pulse causing it.

Maybe it thought you were in a collision? I honestly don’t know how our airbags are released with all the stuff we do. I even rear ended someone and the airbags weren’t deployed.
that makes sense.
it blew me around so it was like a collision
But, the traction control/ABS light came on at the same time? Stupid computer controls the vehicle, not me. LOL.

·
3,633 Posts
The safety assist in my gladiator is probably the same system. I would think it is a response to the situation to keep you safe by turning off the cruise control. The gladiator has an auto-braking feature that I don't care for - called braking assist. If the JT thinks a collision is imminent, on comes the brakes, hard.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The safety assist in my gladiator is probably the same system. I would think it is a response to the situation to keep you safe by turning off the cruise control. The gladiator has an auto-braking feature that I don't care for - called braking assist. If the JT thinks a collision is imminent, on comes the brakes, hard.
That sounds horrible. I like being in control. Stupid computer stuff. I’m too old to understand all this crap. LOL. When I get to heaven there’ll be points ignition and hand roll up windows.
I remember rebuilding my CJ 5 carb on a rock over looking the ocean 350 miles down in Baja. No towns anywhere near. The only idiot lights it had was for the parking brake IIRC. In a situation like that with these modern rigs you’d be hoofing it out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes. But how did the wind set off my traction control and disable my cruise control? I couldn’t use the cruise till I cleared the code.
I had just noticed your signature and kindly referenced it. It was Sunday 😇
My JK traction control activates often as I've got increased challenges for it. Appears in your scenario the wind actually moved you enough to activate traction control thereby disabling cruise control. Mine will do the same and won't work again until the ignition is cycled. Can't recall it ever maintaining a code past ignition cycle.
Sounds like it was a good thing happening as it should. Except the code???

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had just noticed your signature and kindly referenced it. It was Sunday 😇
My JK traction control activates often as I've got increased challenges for it. Appears in your scenario the wind actually moved you enough to activate traction control thereby disabling cruise control. Mine will do the same and won't work again until the ignition is cycled. Can't recall it ever maintaining a code past ignition cycle.
Sounds like it was a good thing happening as it should. Except the code???
I hooked up my OBD2 reader. It didn’t actually show me a code. But I’m not techy.
the traction control light stayed on. I used the clear all codes feature of the reader and disconnected the battery for a while and the light remained on and the cruise didn’t work. I drove around a while and it went off so I guess I reset it. LOL.

·
1,779 Posts
I’m sure the cartels would get you all fixed up for a load.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Obd2 readers do not show all the codes just the ones that are mandated by the government. Even expensive scanners can have limitations.
Obd2 systems are for emmissions not and or body systems.
I agree that you had a esp/traction control issue. Probably set off by the wind and and rapid change in steering while going by the barriers. Good thing you know how to drive,
A lot of abs codes can be erased but the light will stay on untill a good signal is seen. Wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensors can be like this depending on software levels.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obd2 readers do not show all the codes just the ones that are mandated by the government. Even expensive scanners can have limitations.
I agree that you had a esp/traction control issue. Probably set off by the wind and and rapid change in steering while going by the barriers. Good thing you know how to drive,
A lot of abs codes can be erased but the light will stay on untill a good signal is seen. Wheel speed sensors and steering angle sensors can be like this depending on software levels.
Yup, I can drive. What freaked us more than anything was a combo of driving into a really hard wind and then the cruise control shutting off. LOL, it was like someone popped the chute! So we got bells ringing, the cruise shuts off, the added blast of wind from passing the culvert, and my right foot was not right by the gas petal. The wind was blowing hard enough the Jeep never shifted into OD for most of the trip. Sometimes it wasn't even in high gear.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes sir. I don't know if my reader shut it off or me disconnecting the battery. But the light did go out within 2 blocks of driving

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, the Stability Control sensed the swerve, sudden change in steering, maybe even a little wheel slip & jumped in to 'save' you. I stuck along side a big rig at 70 mph in wind, drove with the steering wheel cocked of about a mile & tripped the Stability Control Light. Had to shut it off with the OBD reader. There is a big dip in the pavement along a regular route that causes just enough tire slip to cancel the Cruise but at least it does not light up any warnings.
Agree: Way too many electronic nannies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts