Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, managed to get enough installed to be able to drive the Jeep to work. It is a tight fit but it all goes together very well.
Hope to complete it before this LCIR this weekend.

Here is the package that arrived yesterday.

Here is the installed product.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Very nice. Let us have some more details about the install. Looks like you made Brad Kilby's day. Is that a new compressor I see there?

Oh, yes. More Pics!

Jerry

·
Registered
740 Posts
Brian,

A couple of questions. Is it true that the tensioner is removed? Does your set up have the (not sure on the name) the pulley that cycles on and off as needed? If not, is that an option?

Sorry I won't be able to make LCIR, but please take pics for us web wheelers! :beercheers:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post more pics as I finish up tomorrow. Ran short on some fittings and spent the m orning tracking them down.

Yes, the tensioner is removed. Brad set it up so you adjust the compressor with 2 bolts on the side. You just loosen the 4 mounting bolts on the bottom, turn the 2 bolts on the side (between the compressor and air box) to tighten or loosen the tension on the belt.
And yes, it does have a clutch on the compressor. If you look at the pic, you will see a wire coming up behind the pulley and tied to the AC line. That will be wired to a pressure switch controlled by a switch inside the cab. I can turn on the compressor from the inside. It wil pump air into the system until the pressure in the tank hits top pressure level (not sure what that will be yet) then shut off the compressor. As the pressure drops, the compressor will kick in autopmatically. WHen I am done with using it, I just switch off the main power in the cab.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
This is the system I had in my TJ and will have in the rubi. Well worth the money. There is just something about being able to blow up your own tires. :boobies: My york was out of an 84 volvo though and cost only 25 bucks. :moon: I would suggest doing the same... jsut make sure its the biggie... which can be found on the crud covered label plate and make sure it spins freely and has oil in it.... proving that it isn't leaking real bad or something. Man ran great. Just had to put the serpentine cluth on it and mount it up.

Have fun. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Justin

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If anyone is looking for a York compressor I have one. I am doing a bit different system.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
LILRDJP:

PM'd ya about the compressor.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
Looks nice, I am still debating between a York and doing a electric compressor of some type. Your install makes it harder to decide. Thanks for the pics.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
only thing that concerns me is palcing the alt 6 '' lower..
what if ya want to splash in some water?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
4x4mac said:
only thing that concerns me is palcing the alt 6 '' lower..
what if ya want to splash in some water?
I would not worry about it to much but if you are then use some water proofing techniques on it... IE. Drill holes on the bottom side of the casing so the water has some drainage ect.

I have a web add that I have to find that has a complete list of waterproofing tech.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts